Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IF and headaches page 3

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by yogadaily View Post
    Do you think I should be concerned if I get headaches when I fast? My fasts look like this: dinner around 7pm and my first meal around 9am (sometimes noon if I don't have a headache). I wake at 5am and do yoga until I eat at 9am (teaching but still doing some). I wonder if I'm creating too deep a deficit and my blood sugar lowers?
    When do you usually get the headaches in terms of time of day? I don't know that it's low blood sugar (do you feel like you have low blood sugar?)

Even after I wasn't struggling with blood sugar issues, my body was still struggling with 'ketones as fuel'. Lynn, from May 15-June 15 I had **15** days of severe headaches, 2/3 of them migraines. I thought I would *die*.

At the time, I was getting sufficient magnesium and b6 too. So what helped?

Resorting to Maxalt to treat the pain. It was amazing.
    Chiropractic.
    Massage.

Avoiding chocolate for awhile. My body just couldn't handle it for a chunk of time.

Best suggestion award! I don't *ease* into much and menses is high time for migraines for me...
    Thank you!
    ahhhhh. This is almost assuredly at least in large part a magnesium insufficiency issue. or low progesterone. krill oil will help with the latter.

i was attempting a daily fast but have cut back to every other day. i have a cup of black coffee daily so no caffeine withdrawal. i have been watching what i eat and can't find anything that relates to it yet. once i eat, i'm fine, unless i wait too long...the other day i ended up with a fierce migraine which may have been related to sprinting, pms, and fasting...
    you're about 6 weeks in....that's where I was when the headaches were the *worst*. I think it's just an extension of the lo-carb flu. Blood sugar related or not......

I was hoping for the same with primal but they have gotten worse. Thank you for the fruit suggestion! I could see that doing the same for me.
    It'll get better. Give it another month from now....but also, do work on magnesium

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    +1 on easing into them, no experience on the other half of the suggestion.

When I started IF I simply skipped breakfast, then delayed lunch until the first sign of being uncomfortable, after a while skipping lunch and eating an early dinner, you get the ideal.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I would agree that you really want to get your diet sorted out and get over the low carb flu for a while before you start doing IF. I'm a daily IF kind of person these days with about 16 hours being my minimum and sometimes 24 to 48 hours. I've found that I really don't enjoy going much longer than 48 hours though. At the point that I'm at now a 16 hour fast feels like I just ate to me and I know that at any given time I can go a couple days without eating and I'll be just fine.
    +1. I never thought I'd say that. Ever. Ever ever.

now i have a frickin' cold - just curious, do you all like fasting during a cold? and how about exercise when you're feeling under the weather?
    Eat if you want to, don't if you don't. But for God's SAKE, Lynnie, please start taking some freaking vitamin D!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    but I love to exercise fasted.
    Me too Kev. Me too. It feels much better to me.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Me too Kev. Me too. It feels much better to me.
    I have found that I can extend a fast with exercise. If I am getting hungry at say 4:00 pm and instead of eating I exercise walk, sprint, lift heavy things, whatever it shuts off the hunger for another couple hours easy. After you are comfortable with IF for 16 or 18 hours this is a good way to get to 24.

I'll go take my D now cillakat.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

FlamingAndromeda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Eat if you want to, don't if you don't. But for God's SAKE, Lynnie, please start taking some freaking vitamin D!!!!!
    +1 on the D...I swear by the stuff after getting through this winter in by far the best shape ever...only two colds early on when I started taking it...but my mental state has seen the biggest improvement over previous winters...it's fantastic!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123