Thread: Portabella Mushroom Pizza or stuffed Portabella mushroom caps [Recipe] page

Brian C. is offline Member

Portabella Mushroom Pizza or stuffed Portabella mushroom caps [Recipe]

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

What you need:
    large portabella mushroom caps
    ground up cooked chicken
    tomato sauce
    green bell pepper
    pepperoni slices
    (Optional) Cheese

Method:
    preheat oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is heating, wash the caps and remove the gills. Make sure the stem is fully removed. Place the caps,topside down, on a greased baking tray. Mix the ground cooked chicken and some tomato sauce together and scoop onto the caps. Add a little more sauce and spread to cover the entire inside of the cap. Top with slices of green pepper, pepperoni slices, and cheese (if desired). Place in oven and bake for 15-20 min. take out and enjoy. NOTE: you may have to use a knife and fork.

-GROK ON!
    Last edited by Brian C.; 08-31-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Picture not working

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    me want!

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    That looks amazing! Must try!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I've tried this before in the past and the mushrooms always became extremely soggy and it basically ended up as a pizza flavored dish moreso than a mini-pizza.

Saying that, it is delicious and the way I've come up with to prevent the softness is to keep the mushroom caps at room temperature, pre-cook the sauce mixture in a small pot to get it nice and hot, then assemble it all and put it under the broiler for 5 - 7 minutes to get the cheese and meat crisped up.

This really helps keep the mushroom caps from becoming soft and flexible.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I do much this, but smear the mushroom gills with a teaspoon or so of black olive tapenade, add some chopped oil- soaked sun dried tomatoes slivered, cover with a slice of goats cheese (chèvre log or similar) and bake until mushroom is soft / cheese is melting. Delicious.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Neat idea! I use portabello mushrooms for Eggs Benedict, and so on.

To keep them dry, yet seriously tasty, I put them in a grill pan with the underside facing up until the juices come up. Then, flip them over and press down - this will evaporate the liquid and keep all the flavour in.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Neat idea! I use portabello mushrooms for Eggs Benedict, and so on.

To keep them dry, yet seriously tasty, I put them in a grill pan with the underside facing up until the juices come up. Then, flip them over and press down - this will evaporate the liquid and keep all the flavour in.
    Excellent idea! I sometimes find the watery-ness of mushrooms a problem.

I see you are in Bradford - I'm coming up to stay in a hotel for night early May, and looking at the canals nearby. Looking forward to it!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    We've got a lot of canals. The five rise locks at Bingley were fully drained recently. Apparently quite a spectacle. Have fun ...

I'm going to try these mini pizzas soon. I see mushrooms as supplanting bread, rather than making a poor emulation of neolithic foods. Taking it back! I use LOTS of sliced mushrooms in dishes where I would previously have used pasta like farfelle or fusilli, mushrooms as bases from open burgers, and so on ...

Bread and pasta are easy to supplant - they're fillers, and pretty damn tasteless and uninteresting otherwise.

Having not eaten pizza much at all prior to going paleo, I think I'll give it a go. Fun little combinations of food over a tasty base.