Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New, Need Advice, Thyroid, PCOS page

Nina Ramone Guest

Primal Fuel

HI I am new.

I have a few questions. I want to start the PB diet for health reasons. I have been having symptoms too numerous to list. I found and Endo doc. after some blood test he is now concerned that I may have Hypothyroidism (TSH level went from 2.3 to 4.0 in a month an a half) & PCOS (du to extremely high testosterone level).

I just had more blood drawn yesterday to confirm the Hypothyroidism, and I'm having an ultra sound on Friday to confirm PCOS.

From what I have read about hypothyriodism diets, all the foods I love are the ones to stay away from ie broccoli, cauliflower,cabbage,brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, red meat etc.. according to my understanding of the PB I would be consuming large amounts of red meat & veggies. (BTW I do not eat fish, I have tried, but I do not like it al all)

So I am wondering from anyone out there who may have Hypothyroidism & or PCOS has this change been helpful to you. Do you still eat the foods on the Hypothyroidism do not eat list?

Once my next set of test results comes back he wants to sit down and talk about medicine.

What should I do? PB change? Take Medicine? Advice Please.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Why (according to your dr) are you supposed to avoid things like the veggies you mentioned and red meat?

I haven't been diagnosed but my mother has PCOS and both me and my sister had many symptoms of it. When I went somewhat (still not totally) primal many of them disappeared.

I'd think it was grains and overly processed foods that contributed, not things like broccoli or red meat. Also I suspect (commercial) milk consumption has more to do with PCOS than anyone lets on.. all those hormones..

Nick Guest

Cruciferous vegetables, among many other foods, are goitrogens. They inhibit iodine uptake by the thyroid. You may ask your doc, but it may be possible to supplement with enough iodine that you don't need to worry about eliminating various vegetables from your diet (although omega-6 fats are something that downregulates thyroid effect that iodine won't fix).

You may have to remind your Doc that TSH is just a screening tool (and normal range is 0.3-3.0, although low end is better), not an ongoing diagnosis tool. Once you start on meds it's pretty meaningless, and you need to be doing a more full thyroid panel to check things out. Also make sure he checks adrenal function before you go chasing thyroid issues -- if adrenals aren't working, you can't utilize thyroid hormone. You may want to search the forum for the couple other threads that have come up, lots of good info in there.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

"ie broccoli, cauliflower,cabbage,brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, red meat etc.. according to my understanding of the PB I would be consuming large amounts of red meat & veggies."

Just steam/slightly cook the goitrogenic vegetables. Meat is not a problem if you are hypothyroid.

Also eat lots of leafy green salad with your meat with lunch and for dinner steam/cook some vegies.

Keeping you carbs low will be beneficial for PCOS.

Get your iodine levels checked. If deficient you can take an iodine supplement for a bit. As Nick said don't go straight on thyroid meds - check adrenals okay. If you do go on thyroid meds see if you can get the natural dessicated thyroid ones.

Also, check if you have auto-immune hypothyroid - your own body attacking thyroid. If so, gluten should be avoided.

No soy also - do you have a lot of soy?

primalmom is offline Member

Nina - there is tons of good info here for hypoT and Nick is especially knowledgeable - do a search in the forums for "hypothyroid" - also Crystal is a good resource -

I have been hypo for ten years - Hashimotos - been on Armour and Synthroid ...

I eat just about everything except now have cut out the carbs and grains - I cook the goitrogenic ones and try to watch how much of that I eat - 1-2x per week or so. I do not eat soy at all.

I went gluten-free last December and that helped a great deal ... but the biggie for me has been getting rid of ALL grains and sugars as well as the starches like swt potato, banana, etc .... I have been eating primal for about a month, having started a couple weeks or so before the challenge .... Although I also have adrenal issues that I am working through, I am feeling great ...

And maybe it is just a temporary thing, but ... I am reducing the amount of Armour I take - wow ! ...

anyhoo, there's tons of good info here

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

Madame P is offline Junior Member

Hi there... I have PCOS, which was my main motivation for starting the Paleo diet. I have no experience with hypothyroidism, though.

Since my PCOS is Insulin-resistance related, the Paleo diet has been extremely helpful. I've treated my PCOS with a combination of diet, exercise, acupuncture, and traditional chinese medicine (herbs). I did not want to take the medicine metformin, however, I know that it helps many women with PCOS.

I think that what you should do depends on the severity of your symptoms, and how much you'd realistically be able to manage your conditions through lifestyle and/or holistic changes. If your PCOS symptoms are severe, then you might want to go on medication temporarily. If you are absolutely opposed to medication, then be prepared to do a lot of research and make some serious changes to your life. But it's entirely possible to do without medication.

Crystal W. Guest

Hi Nina

We have a lot people here with thyroid problems. Yes, do a search. PCOS is related to thyroid problems. I am surprised that an endo. would dx you with a thyroid problem based on a TSH of 4. From, what I've seen, endos do not know how to properly treat hypoT. But, good for him. Since it flucuated, you need to test both antibodies, thyroid peroxidase and thyroidglobulin antibodies. Hashimottos is a very common thyroid autoimmune disorder. As mentioned you need the frees. People feel best with FT3 at the top or slightly over the range. TSH is not a good test at all for evaluating hypoT.

Unfortunately, many people with low thyroid also have low adrenal function(cortisol). Your own thyroid production or medication will not work unless you have enough cortisol to use it. You may experience hyper. symptoms but in reality it's your bodies way of saying that it can't handle the meds. High cortisol will prevent your body from using thyroid hormones as well.

I'm afraid that your doctor may want to prescribe synthroid, levoxyl, levothyroxine, compounding t4,t3. I would ask for naturethroid or westhroid. Armour is having problems.

I avoid peanuts,soy, fluoride, all grains, because they do lower thyroid function. Other goiterogens I really don't worry about too much but cooking/steaming seems to help.

Iodine alone could help a lot of people who have sluggish thyroids. The lack of iodine causes a build up of chlorine, fluoride, and bromide which ruins the thyroid. The RDA of 150mcg for iodine is pretty poor. I'm taking 12 mg of iodine(iodorol).

Nina Ramone Guest

Thanks for all your insight. I spoke to my doctor again today. He has confirmed it is Hypothyroidism only. The PCOS, blood tests & ultrasound were negative. He has conducted so many blood tests, he orginally thought it was my pituitary glad. I have had every hormone level tested at least twice, including, cortisol levels, urine samples and my adrenal function & ultrasound of the adrenal glands. The reason he thought it was PCOS was my testosterone level was 3X higher than it should be, on the last set of tests it came out normal. I guess I don't have to worry about the goitrogen foods now.

Marks book just came in the mail, I excited to read it!

Crystal W posted " I'm afraid that your doctor may want to prescribe synthroid, levoxyl, levothyroxine, compounding t4,t3. I would ask for naturethroid or westhroid. Armour is having problems."

He wants me to start on levothyroxine 25mg. I have an apointment on Monday. Why is Naturethroid or westhroid okay? Are they natural drugs as opposed to synethetic ones?

gkh
    gkh is offline Junior Member

there are a lot of people who will say you shouldn't take synthetic drugs (levothyroxine). I think they are spending too much timing freaking themselves out on the internet - as far as i know armour is extracted pig thyroid hormone. woopdie doo, like grok is going to go around taking out pig thyroid to make himself feel better. just take the levothyroxine. i've been taking it for 5 years now, my levels are great, i'm primal, i eat cauliflower and red meat like its my job, i am low body fat, high energy, all the good stuff. and my TSH was super-high before i started taking the meds.

hypothyroidism is really easy to treat - like your dr. said, 25mg pill every day probably forever, but no big deal. you'll be fine, you can eat all the same foods and it wont make any difference, unless you stop taking your pill.

Nina Ramone Guest

PrimalCon New York

Thanks gkh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast