Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jerky makers? need a recipe for homemade seasoning! page

alexa85 is offline Senior Member

jerky makers? need a recipe for homemade seasoning!

Shop Now
    we love to make jerky at home in our dehydrator. we have the gun and make strips and jerky sticks. we used the sample packets that came with the dehydrator for seasoning jerky and have made two batches with our own seasoning mix only twice. my girlfriend is ready to buy a premade mix because it has not come out "just right" the two times we've done it ourselves. i would like to avoid this if possible (unless someone knows of a good brand without crap in it). i know you use a tablespoon of salt per pound of meat in order for it to cure. i think part of our problem is we are using chunky sea salt instead of a plain iodized salt, but what else do you throw in there?
    and an odd thing i've noticed. the jerky made with the prepackaged seasoning is sort of...shiney? i'm not sure what to call it. the one we made is more...matte? hahaha, there must be some sort of ingredient they add in to change the texture/color of the meat. any clues?
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Mike Opteris is offline Member
    I go with the following:
    4 tsp pickling or kosher salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp liquid smoke
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    Let it marinate for at least 24 hours and dehydrate. I like this a lot, but I also add hot pepper sometimes.
    Good luck,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Opteris; 09-02-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Mis-typing, hey I gotta broken paw here!
    I wish I'd known about this sooner!

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I'd be wary of the recipe noted by the previous poster who probably is giving something for jerky made with pieces of sliced meat from a london broil or flank steak cut. I believe that with that type of jerky, a marinade is in order. However, with the ground meat extruder type jerky you are describing, I have only used dry rubs and then work the spices in by hand. Since you are dehydrating, you really don't want to add any extra moisture back into the meat. I experimented with lots of different spices before I adapted this one which is originally from a pulled pork BBQ rub.

I use this mixture per pound of meat. In order to get it mixed in, I'll take a smaller portion of meat and eyeball a relevant amount of seasoning and then mix it in by hand. So if you use more than a pound, double or triple as needed:

1 tablespoon mild paprika
    2 teaspoons light brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons hot paprika
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa85 View Post
    i've noticed. the jerky made with the prepackaged seasoning is sort of...shiney? i'm not sure what to call it. the one we made is more...matte? hahaha, there must be some sort of ingredient they add in to change the texture/color of the meat. any clues?
    That would usually be caused by sodium nitrate and nitrite. I used to use a product called Morton's Tender Quick which is exactly that. It would make the jerky redder and shinier.

Since I have stopped using it, my jerky is browner and more matte. And better-tasting IMHO.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    Just did wheat free tamari, mister mustard, crushed garlic. Sliced it 1/8' thick. marinated overnight. Put it on in the morning, & .....holy crap is that s*#t awsome. I had to hide it from my daughter. I did use loin meat, that could have helped.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    I recipe I got about 30yrs ago:
    1/4c Worchestershire
    1/4c wheat-free tamari (instead of soy sauce) or Bragg's
    1T apple cider vinegar
    It also called for 1T tomato paste but I skip that. Also add some minced garlic. We did this with some london broil a few days ago. Also added some red pepper flakes & fresh ground black pepper. Marinated sliced meat overnight then dried. I used this with elk originally (30yrs ago) & that was also quite yummy. Chairdr I like the addition of mustard in your version. Will keep that in mind...

rozska is offline Senior Member
    I regularly make jerky using ground meat. And I always add water to it. Not a lot -- just 1/4c. I'm also allergic to soy, so I add salt to the water, to dissolve it. I don't measure, however, so I have no idea how much it is. I use smoked salt from Salt Works. Then I add fresh garlic, fresh basil, fresh cilantro, cayenne, red chilly flakes, dried dill or basil -- just depends on what I feel like. I've tried it with fresh onion -- that didn't work. I've recently made a batch using the coconut "soy" sauce -- tastes like soy but is from coconut sap. Really good. Best of luck!
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    thanks everyone!
    we tried another recipe we found online, i can't remember the measurements but it included the following: olive oil, lemon juice, worchestershire sauce, garlic powder, liquid smoke, paprika, salt and ground pepper. i thought it was counter productive to add a marinade to something i was dehydrating (for ground meat not strips)...but, it turned out pretty tasty. literally. the flavor of the jerky is excellent but the texture is a lil bit off. melissa said we needed to dehydrate it longer but i don't think it would've have gotten that "jerky texture" even with extended dehydrating. back to the drawing board...i'll check out some of ya'lls recipes
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rozska View Post
    I regularly make jerky using ground meat. And I always add water to it. Not a lot -- just 1/4c. I'm also allergic to soy, so I add salt to the water, to dissolve it. I don't measure, however, so I have no idea how much it is. I use smoked salt from Salt Works. Then I add fresh garlic, fresh basil, fresh cilantro, cayenne, red chilly flakes, dried dill or basil -- just depends on what I feel like. I've tried it with fresh onion -- that didn't work. I've recently made a batch using the coconut "soy" sauce -- tastes like soy but is from coconut sap. Really good. Best of luck!
    I have to say this is totally baffling to me to add water to ground meat you are going to dehydrate. I could see adding something like worchestershire or hot sauce since it might not be easy to replicate the flavor of those with a dried spice.

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    just wanted to say thank you! i never knew about jerky guns until this thread and i just bought one! now for some more recipes. i found this one on a website but haven't tried it yet...
    2 pounds of ground beef (use 90% fat free for best results)
    1/4 cup of soy sauce
    1 teaspoon of paprika
    1 teaspoon of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of onion powder
    1 teaspoon of garlic powder
    1 teaspoon of meat tenderizer (this ones optional)
    2 teaspoon of curing salt
    2 tablespoons of liquid smoke
    2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons of brown sugar

i don't think i would use the curing salt though - full of nitrates....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast