Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Builders and Fighters page

Fisch Guest

Primal Fuel

Just curious if anyone out there doing the "primal" thing is a body builder or a fighter? If so, how does the lack of carbs year round affect your training and performance?

Mick Guest

Not me. I'm actually a little sceptical of the way they blow out the upper body. Someone I know says people should always think in terms of lower body strength and upper-body freedom and that, relatively speaking, Arnold is the "wrong way up". I think he has a point, although many people probably don't think like me and do admire the "Arnold look".

So it's not something I do, but I understand that many bodybuilders did used to eat rather like this. So it has been done - just not so much so recently, since most bodybuilders have essentially followed current fashions for low-fat diets like everyone else.

One of these old-time people was Tony Sansone who recommended rich foods like raw milk, cream, butter, and eggs. He also recommended organ meats, such as liver, and cod liver oil and also some fruit and vegetables with wholegrains bringing up the rear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Sansone

He's not as big as they come now, but this was in the days before steroids.

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Vince Gironda had (has?) one of the best bodies in body building, in my opinion, and he was an advocate of paleo eating.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker25.htm

Seems to not set him back one bit. Carbs aren't really a part of building muscle.

I am both, a bodybuilder and a boxer. Been doing the primal thing for 2 years now with one exception. I go nuts on Saturday night. From 6pm until I go to sleep, it's no holds barred, carb circus. It's a deviation of the anabolic diet, only I limit myself to a smaller window of carbing up. I've had significant gains both in muscle size and speed (two things that usually do not go together).

Fisch Guest

The body builders you are mentioning are all old school and none of them were really that big. Vince Gironda also used alot of what would now be known as pro-hormones and myostatin inhibitors. I know alot of guys will do a diet similar to Primal pre-contest to cut up but I know they do so at the cost of muscle tissue. Do you guys think this type of diet could sustain a 225+ pnd bodybuilder over the course of time? Not busting balls, just looking for opinions. Also I'm curious what your pre-fight training routine looks like princess.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Fisch, go check out some of the bodybuilding nutrition articles and discussions on Testosterone Nation's website. I'm pretty sure nobody's gonna tell that you'll lose muscle by not eating carbs. It's all about the protein and total calories.

hannahm34 is offline Member

PrimalJewishA--What carbs do you carb up with?? I've tried that before and seem to lose all self-control with the carbs. I'm curious as to what your carb ups entail? =)

BigBeck89 Guest

ummm primal is NOT necessarily low carb, just lower. Christian Thibaudeau basically recommends eating primaly, geting carbs from fruits and veggies...insulin is important for building mass..with bodybuilding it's all about TIMING the carbs

Pre-fight training looks just like any other day. Are you speaking in terms of food intake or workouts? Training wise, I run 3 miles a day, 6 days a week. In addition, I do 1 day of technique, 3-4 days of weights, and 2 days of circuit/crossfit/intervals, etc.

@Hannahm34 - If I am below all week, Saturday is whatever goes, good carbs or bad. Now, let me set this out there, this ISN'T primal. If I wasn't working out the way I do, then I wouldn't have a carb up at all, it isn't necessary unless you are working out intensely and/or you are looking to build mass.

I eat primally 6 days a week (or I try, have been off the wagon a bit), and Saturdays are my 80%, I guess, but it works better for the goals I have set for myself.

Elana Guest

PJAP, I like your honesty. I, too, treat Saturdays as my 20%. I feel that I work out pretty intensely and, being that I've always had an "all or nothing" mentality, falling off the wagon occasionally helps me to stay there most of the time. Do you find your subsequent 'clean' days harder after a carb binge?

The strange thing for me is that I seem to plateau with my weight (still trying to shed the rest of my baby pounds around my middle) while eating Primal, but after a weekend of all out gluttony, the scale dips a pound or two. It's almost as though my body is saying "oh, cool, we're not starving after all so I guess I can give up these couple of pounds".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast