Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complicated Friends and Relatives... page

firestarter is offline Junior Member

Angry Complicated Friends and Relatives...

Shop Now
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but figured this was the best place.

I am currently in a bit of a 'war' with my girlfriend over the PB lifestyle. She is a physiotherapist and believes heavily that you need carbohydrates in the form of potatoes, pasta and rice to maintain a healthy balanced diet. I've tried telling her the evidence is there which contradicts her position, and she rebutes with the fact that there is more research to contradict mine. She believes that I'm being arrogant in believing this lifestyle is better than the carb-centric one that modern health professionals would champion. It's along the lines of 'if it was true then you would have the backing of the entire medical profession'. She is convinced that a high fat diet will result in a stroke or heart attack (regardless of the fact that I'm more lean and cut than I have ever been in my life).

This all hit a head when we went for dinner with a nutritionist friend of ours. She basically said that any evidence is basically unfounded else she would have known about it. I can understand her being caged; her 4 years of university education are essentially being called into question, but the annoying thing is that this is more ammunition for the angry girlfriend!

I'm not sure what I'm asking for, perhaps im ranting to get it off my chest. I guess I want to know if any of you have come across this before - i know that many people have come across sceptics and people that dont understand it, but has anyone had to argue down a health-care professional and a nutritionist and even remotely won?

It got a bit intense to say the least, and I've had to kind of give in (i'd rather not destroy our relationship over it, it's not like i was 'fat' in the beginning, but the program hit a chord with me). I've told her i'll eat carbs etc. and its made her happier. I just don't know where to go from here.

Has anyone ever experienced this?
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

Truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that this is what they are - Nietzsche
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    If she's not willing to respect your point of view and insists on forcing hers upon you - doesn't sound like much of a girlfriend in the first place?
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    "if it was true then you would have the backing of the entire medical profession."

That's hilarious.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    What is it with women and carbs? I say dump her for being too boneheaded.

don't know - i'm not obssesed with carbs. I saw the evidence and made up my mind for myself. Although can't seem to tear myself away from the chocolate! Happy to have 70-80% stuff and the cacao though.

some people are just to entrenched in their ways they can't see they are destructive and won't hear any bad words to the contrary. Men and women alike!!

I mean what if you turned round and said you wanted to be a buddhist. Would she stand in your way for that too? Isn't a partnership about mutual understanding, trust and acceptance?

There are plenty pb'ers on here....you could hook up with a lovely lady off here who already understands you!

: -)
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i run into people like this all the time, because i work at a college and plenty of people want to start giving me cpr when i tell them that i made a salad dressing out of bacon fat. my first inclination is to argue with them over health and nutrition, then i think--wait, these are (usually) smart people--and i can point them to things like the nurse's study (the PB book is filled with the studies necessary to make your point). if they say that there is more research for their side of the argument, i ask them for it. whatever they can come up with is likely old, based on something old, or less than credible. it's important to remind people that science is always evolving, and when you stop trying to open up and learn new things you've stopped doing the thing that makes you human. where would we be without curiosity and discovery?
    also, you can be the living proof of the PB working. are they really going to be able to argue with you when you are able to sprint, bang out a few rounds of pull-ups, and lift heavy? i doubt it.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Is she in great shape eating the way that she does? There are some people that can get away a very grain heavy diet. That and if someone is totally entrenched in CW (which is pretty much must everyone out there) there's no reaching them really. The PB lifestyle certainly hasn't made me seem less eccentric at all.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    It is easier being older. You don't care if you are eccentric and you don't care if other people think you are. I'm sure for every person who has come up to me asking me about my VFFs and if I like them and where did I get them, there are five who see them and think WTF?!? Life is much easier when you don't care so much about that kind of thing. My husband didn't jump on the primal bandwagon either, but he knows better than to argue with me

Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    My husband didn't jump on the primal bandwagon either, but he knows better than to argue with me
    well exactly.....
    Scottish Sarah

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Dump her for failing to l-i-s-t-e-n, because you have a valid basis for your position, she just won't listen. What next - won't listen to views on parenting because she has mums as friends? You take this seriously, she should respect that by at least trying to understand your position.

only Half-kidding

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast