Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Healing from the inside out? (Sick of being sick!)

Threaded View

Angry Healing from the inside out? (Sick of being sick!)

Hi, fellow PBers! I'm fairly new to this lifestyle, and I have a slew of health issues that I'm hoping the primal way of life will help heal. I'm looking for some input as to what's going on with my body.

I've had digestive issues since I was a baby; I blame being almost exclusively soy formula-fed and taking a two-year course of antibiotics as a child. I started feeling very sick a year ago, about two months after a week-long course of Cipro (probably a coincidence) and after experimenting with some supplements for my acne. I lost my energy, became light-headed and weak, my gut cramped severely and I felt like I was dying. These symptoms have both tapered off and changed over time.

Some of my biggest concerns right now are diffuse hair, eyelash and brow loss and skin issues: dryness, paper-thinness, SLOW healing, acne, scarring, randomly-appearing white stretch marks. On top of these issues, I've been dealing with digestive problems (reflux, abdominal cramping, frequent LOUD gurgling in throat, chest, and abdomen) and overall lack of energy for over a year now. I have been eating very healthy but not "primal" since January, and "primal" for about three weeks now, and these issues still persist. I also take 1,000mg Vit. C and 400mg Magnesium Glycinate daily.

I tried a hypoallergenic diet for 7 weeks with no relief from symptoms. Recently, I got my thyroid tested and my labs were OK according to my naturopath, though she said my TSH (3.4 in a 0.45-4.5 scale, was 0.95 a year ago when I started feeling ill) was high for my age. EDIT: Added more thyroid results, didn't know if they were relevant since they were "normal":
    Free T4: 1.21 ng/dL (.82-1.77)
    Free T3: 2.9 pg/mL (2.0-4.4)
    TPO: 8 IU/mL (0-34)
    Antithyroglobulin AB: <20 IU/mL (0-40)

I'm going to see an endocrinologist in a month to get a more thorough workup on my hormones and adrenals, and will get an upper GI series and abdominal CT scan as recommended by my PCP as soon as I can afford them to rule out any serious conditions.

What I'm wondering is- when the body heals, does it divest its energy to healing the most vital systems first (i.e. guts vs. skin), or does healing occur simultaneously in all systems? How long is reasonable to stick to this way of life before I can expect improvement, if any, in my symptoms? What else can I do to aid healing this smattering of symptoms?

I'm 22-years-old and feel like a frazzled old lady...this has to stop. Thanks in advance for any help!

Typical diet:
    Breakfast: 2 sunny-side-up eggs fried in ghee, 2 slices of fatty bacon (100 cal. each!), 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup dry-roasted macadamias, approx. 6 oz coconut milk (carton)

Lunch: canned sardines, salmon, or kippers with cooked kale or collards, zucchini, broccoli, extra virgin olive oil

Dinner: chicken thigh with skin, or turkey burger (just ground turkey), or rare beef burger (just beef), or lamb chop, cooked kale or collards, onions, broccoli, zucchini, ghee or olive oil

Snacks:carrots, macadamias, spoonful of almond butter, shredded coconut flakes with some dark chocolate, a few berries

Cheats: glass or two of red wine, or, rarely, a beer on the weekend
    Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 08-30-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added more thyroid test results and typical diet