Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Healing from the inside out? (Sick of being sick!) page 3

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    good luck! the ghee may still be a problem for some so keep that in mind. also, kelp did make my skin worse at first but then it cleared. maybe a healing reaction, not sure. let us know how you're doing;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Any updates?

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious, too. There were quite a few problems and I would like to think that the OP found relief from the issues.

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys, thanks for checking in!

My symptoms are pretty much unchanged, unfortunately. I think my lips are even more dry now (SO DRY), my acne is still bad, my hair and eyelashes/brows are still falling out, and my GI issues persist. I DO have a bit more energy, though, which is a definite plus. I no longer need to nap every day, and keep a fairly regular sleep schedule.

The endocrinologist I saw was useless: "Your numbers are in range, there's nothing we can do for you." They wanted to test morning serum cortisol and my TSH again, but I never got that done because I didn't want to waste money on a follow-up with a horrible doctor. So I searched online and found a doc near me who practices functional medicine, was within the top tier of my insurance network, and got an appointment with him within a few weeks. My appointment with him lasted an hour, and he seemed baffled by my condition but has a few ideas. He thinks that my GI issues and possibly adrenal problems are messing with my thyroid, and that the thyroid itself isn't the issue here. He gave me a salivary Adrenal Stress Index test, which measures cortisol four times during the day, along with a CDSA kit that extensively tests for parasites, dysbiosis, yeast, malabsorption, etc. He also ordered the following blood work: ANA, ESR, RNP, anti-gliadin antibodies, and some tests for lupus and lyme, maybe one or two more I'm forgetting. Additionally, he plugged my high cholesterol numbers into a computer program that calculates risk for heart disease based on a few factors, and turns out I have a 1% risk of heart disease because my HDL is awesome (96, up from a pre-primal 52). I told him that I should obviously keep eating bacon and he agreed.

I'm getting the bloodwork done this week, doing the salivary test on Tues. then mailing it out, and trying to wrangle enough cash to afford the CDSA (insurance has a $400 deductible for out-of-state labwork) soon. I'm also planning on calling the GI doc I visited a while ago and getting her to re-order the upper GI series so I can do that and rule out problems such as hernia. After all of this, I'll be following up with the new doctor I'm seeing, and hopefully he'll find something in the new labwork to treat.

For the record, my diet as of now: omega 3 eggs, grass-fed ground beef, lamb, free-range chicken thighs, canned wild salmon and sardines, unsalted Icelandic butter, shredded coconut, coconut oil, almond butter, prunes, raspberries, blueberries, occasional apples, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, collards, chard, black pepper, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and that's pretty much it. I "cheat" with red wine, 85%+ dark chocolate, or honey every now and then.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    Looks like you found a good doctor!
    Yes! So far, he is fantastic. I really think he'll help me get my health back on track.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    And I'm really envious of your diet. That's what I want to say I'm eating, but it's nowhere near that good.

Quote Originally Posted by kcult View Post
    And I'm really envious of your diet. That's what I want to say I'm eating, but it's nowhere near that good.
    I'm pretty happy with it, both price-wise and nourishment-wise. Took a lot of tweaking to get it to this point!

Unhappy Update:

I had an upper GI series with small bowel follow-through that my doc said was completely normal, with no sign of reflux damage or any functional abnormalities. So apparently I'm just imagining the stuff bubbling back up my throat, the heavy discomfort in my chest, and the abdominal cramping. Oh, and the loud gurgles in my chest that others can hear from far across the room. My abdomen was cramping badly when they made me lie down after I drank the barium...

Additionally, I had a salivary adrenal test run which showed elevated cortisol around 4pm and around midnight. Noon cortisol was on high end of normal, too. (graph of levels attached). This means I probably don't have adrenal fatigue, but am well on my way toward it if my cortisol doesn't chill out.

The lab also tested for gliadin antibodies and mine were elevated, indicating some level of gluten intolerance, but my total SIgA was low. I dunno if I buy that intolerance result, though, as I don't know how accurate saliva tests are for food intolerances. Nevertheless, it worries me because I work at a bakery and I'm concerned that inhaling/touching glutenous substances may be preventing me from getting over these health issues. I haven't eaten anything with gluten in it in months, so if that test means anything, the anti-bodies are being triggered by the gluten exposure I get at the bakery. Ugggh.

I'm getting some bloodwork done tomorrow (ANA, ESR, RNP, anti-gliadin antibodies, and some tests for lupus and lyme like I mentioned earlier). After that, I don't know where to go next; ferritin, D3 and a repeated full thyroid panel are my thoughts as of now.

My doctor basically said there's not much he can do based on the test results, though he said I should make a follow-up appointment with him and an appointment with a nutritionist to talk about a gluten-free diet (lol).

I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac for telling my family and friends that I'm feeling 50% here, I'm in pain, my skin doesn't heal and I've lost 1/4-1/3 of my hair and eyelashes, when all of these tests are normal. No one seems to believe me when I say I'm sick.

If anyone could offer any input or advice about any of this, I would greatly appreciate it. I love how the members of this forum are tuned in to so many different health issues and methods of restoring health, and am hoping I can get to the bottom of this with some help. Thanks for reading my babbles!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 11-18-2010 at 05:41 PM.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really feel for you. Have you tried an elimination diet? Even for stuff you think youre tolerating, including spices, herbs etc. I know myself I break out from dairy and nuts, also have some problems with fruits and nightshades.

And also have you tried to pause the vitamins/supplements, and then reintroducing one at a time to see if youre sensitive to any of them? I started to break out like crazy some time after I started to add more supplements, didnt figure that out right away but I then paused all for a week and reintroduced one at a time and I was able to pinpoint a couple that broke me out.

Other then that, best thing Ive done for my facial acne is probably to not use any products at all on my face. I only use water, not even every day, more every second day, and I barely splash water on my face and then pat dry super gently.

And also, give this lifestyle a long chance, it takes time to reverse years and years of bad/conventional habits
    Last edited by jimpag; 11-19-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast