Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Healing from the inside out? (Sick of being sick!) page 2

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow, thank you everyone for all of your answers! I just added my diet; I think it's pretty strict, but I'm definitely open to suggestions! I definitely want to try some bone broth. I already avoid all dairy except for ghee because it flares up my acne, and I've cut the grains entirely. The only fruit I eat is blueberries and raspberries with an occasional prune or grape. I've tried probiotics, HCl and digestive enzymes for months with no relief, and kelp flares up my acne so I avoid it. I am going to follow through with the endo. appointment because my suspicion is a thyroid problem, but I don't like self-diagnosing. :P I plan to avoid using medication for the GI stuff if possible, but would be willing to go on thyroid hormone if the doc recommends it.

@Barb: I was actually wondering if it may be a functional problem, as it feels like food gets stuck in my throat sometimes and my stomach isn't emptying properly (I can hear a "sloshing" in my lower left quadrant as soon as I drink a mouthful of anything, like the liquid is passing straight through the stomach, and I don't think that's normal). I'll ask my doctor to run some tests! I'm curious as to what would cause such a disorder in the first place, though, aside from a hernia. Nerve damage?

@Bushrat: I use topical Retin-A and Aczone (Dapsone) for my acne, no pills. I need these to control the acne because I scar from every pimple due to whatever health issue is causing my skin to thin out. I'm struggling to see how my acne is caused by my diet because I think it looks pretty good, but maybe there's something I'm missing?
    Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 08-30-2010 at 06:47 PM.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Is your thyroid gland swollen? Mine has always been large. Which is why Drs would test me for hypo thyroid, and then when my labs came back "normal" I was given NOTHING! Then I learned about Hashimotos... You attack your own thyroid, and your thyroid often enlarges to combat the attack... which CAN be a reason for feeling like food gets stuck. Or that you can't swallow... I can't wear a choker necklace. It drives me insane!!!!

A TSH of 3.4 would have me in a heap on the floor. I function decently below 2.5. And 1.5-2 is best FOR ME! Taking a bit of thyroid helps your thyroid deal with the "attack" if you're autoimmune... and of course, just helps if you're not making it well, or converting well...

Cutting the carbs is the ONLY thing that eliminates all the reflux. I know within about 10 minutes if I've had too much sugar or simple carb.

Also, soy is an endocrine disrupter... I was a soy formula baby too... Soy is the Devil...LOL! I think I made my thyroid condition worse at one point, because I didn't know this and the "diet foods" are full of soy!

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
    as it feels like food gets stuck in my throat sometimes and my stomach isn't emptying properly
    Make sure you doctor physically palpates you neck/thyroid to check for nodules that may be blocking your throat. And impaired hyroid function can slow/impact bodily functions including gastric emptying.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    what I can see from here:

vitamin d deficiency
    insufficient dietary magnesium
    insufficient dietary potassium

Have a look at my links below.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
    @Bushrat: I use topical Retin-A and Aczone (Dapsone) for my acne, no pills. I need these to control the acne because I scar from every pimple due to whatever health issue is causing my skin to thin out. I'm struggling to see how my acne is caused by my diet because I think it looks pretty good, but maybe there's something I'm missing?
    I ♡ retin-A/tretinoin/tazorac etc. *love*. Seriously.

Anyway, you also have a zinc deficiency (acne, poor tissue integrity)
    And D deficiency as I mentioned above (ie acne, immune issues)

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Regarding functional problems - if you feel like food is getting stuck in your throat and you are having difficulty swallowing, as I said, you may have an esophageal motility problem. These can be caused by connective tissue and autoimmune problems affecting the nerves to the smooth muscle as well as just happen for no apparent reason. This can be tested for with a barium swallow test where they xray you while swallowing a contrast dye to see what happens to it. They can also put a pressure sensing device down your throat and have you swallow to see if the pressure pattern of esophageal contractions is full and normal. Young people do get these problems, and they often have GERD as a symptom due to poor sphincter tone/control.

You may want to consult a gastroenterologist about your symptoms, not just an endocrinologist. The GI doc can evaluate for these functional issues. Good luck, keep us informed as to how you do!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    A lot of good ideas and suggestions, but I have another one:

I tried one magnesium supplement after another (by mouth) and they all gave me an unhappy gut, INCLUDING MAG GLYCINATE, which is supposed to be so totally gut-friendly. It wasn't for me. Two capsules of it, a little nap, then diarrhea enough to clean me out.

Now I get magnesium through my skin, as Magnesium Chloride in a brine, which is sold as "magnesium oil."

For the unhappy bowels, I'd suggest a wide array of probiotic foods, rather than capsules of this or that. When trying to get over a queasy stomach after my recent run-in with Guillain Barre Syndrome, I got very good results from having a little apple cider vinegar (with honey, but I've stopped the honey now) in warm water first thing in the morning; kim chee (good quality, local) with meals, just a little, Greek yoghurt once in awhile, and a little glass of kombucha in the evening. I sometimes eat live (local) sauerkraut as well.

Condolences about the soy formula. Feeding soy to innocent babies should be a complete non-starter, IMO.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    salt water is the best acne treatment ? plz explain how and how much salt to water,how often?
    ... have a teen in the pool all the time , not alot of acne but a little on shoulders
    Last edited by Eatmydust; 08-31-2010 at 07:19 PM.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Yes on the ZINC esp for the skin issues, mag oil, and other nutrients! I would certainly be supping using really good, bioavailable forms of all vits/minerals, esp those mentioned above (cillakat). Also C, E, and prob. the Bs and of course D (which cillakat already mentioned ). I really like Thorne brand supps b/c they are typically in a very bioavailable form. I use Basic Nutrients III b/c there is no copper or iron (I react badly to supplemental iron and get lots through diet, and w/ zinc deficiency, I personally *don't* need extra copper atm...)

Flareups from kelp? I wonder if this is related to bromide/bromine being mobilized by the iodine? Just a thought--have no idea if this is the case or not. Makes me think your detox pathways are not well enough supported though, and supping antioxidants and the above things (along w/ selenium) could be really helpful. I think its really great that you are looking into the thyroid stuff!!!

I might try a different probiotic as well, or at least add probiotic foods (lactofermented veggies are easy to make and awesome! Kimchi, sauerkraut, etc.) I just think they are a huge part of healing, and maybe w/ your dietary changes they may make more of a difference than they seemed to before???

Good luck!! You are in a great place for healing!!!

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks again for your help, everyone! I can tell this is a great, supportive community.

@twinmama: I'm pretty sure my thyroid isn't swollen, not visibly at least. Are you officially diagnosed with Hashimoto's, and if so, how did you get your diagnosis if your labs were normal? It's reassuring to know that I'm probably not crazy for feeling like this even though my bloodwork is A-OK, but it seems like it will be hard to find a doc willing to give me medication due to my results. As for the reflux, it occurs no matter what I eat, but carbs like rice definitely flare it up. Not worth it! And sorry to hear you were soy-fed, as well; our parents were only doing what they thought was best for us, I'm sure. I know I probably would have died if they hadn't given me the soy because I spit up everything else they tried.

@ cillakat: Thanks for the suggestions! I'm planning on adding in 5,000 IU of D daily soon because I'm in the northeast US and very likely deficient. I already take 400mg of mag. glycinate daily, but I probably don't get enough potassium. Zinc oxide, picolinate, and gluconate all give me large jawline acne, but I'm going to try an amino acid chelate. Also, yes, Retin-A is awesome. Only been on it for two months, but already it's done more for my skin than any other medication. Hoping it'll keep me wrinkle-free, too!

@ Barb: Thanks for the info! I'm definitely booking some GI tests in the near future; was supposed to get them done back in February but didn't have the $$.

@piano-doctor-lady: Hmm, I think I'm OK with Mag Glycinate since my symptoms presented long before I took it, but thanks for the head's-up! The natural probiotics seem like a good idea, though! I used to drink coconut milk kefir, eat kim chi and sauerkraut, but stopped because I didn't feel much different...don't think it would hurt to try them again.

@FairyRae: My naturopath said something about my detox pathways possibly not being up to snuff because it seems like many supplements give me acne, so I think you might be on to something there. I already take C and am looking into Selenium, D and E; hopefully those will help!

--
    As of right now based on everyone's suggestions, I'm planning on supplementing:
    1000mg Vit. C with bioflavinoids (already take)
    400mg Mag Glycinate (already take)
    10,000 IU Vit. D every other day
    200 mcg Selenium (or brazil nut)
    400 IU Vit. E with mixed tocopherols
    30mg zinc glycinate chelate

I will also see the endocrinologist about my thyroid and the GI doc about my gut issues, and will eat more fermented foods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast