Thread: Suppliers of quality proteing in the UK page

KalleAnka is offline Junior Member

Suppliers of quality protein in the UK

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all!

Does anyone know where I could get good quality (preferably organic, but does not neccesarily need the certification) meat & poultry for a reasonable price in the UK? I have found a number of suppliers both on-line and local (I'm based in Cambridge), but their prices are quite a bit higher compared to conventional produce. I'm assuming that it would be cheaper to buy in bulk (5kg - 10kg) and freeze but I have not been able to find such a retailer.

Any ideas? Scheme recommendations such as buying part of a cow etc welcome!

[Edit: Apologies, title should obviously say protein not proteing! Tried to edit but changes are not showing up!]
    Last edited by KalleAnka; 08-30-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    There is this farm in Northumberland which will deliver meat

http://www.kielderorganicmeats.co.uk/

Superb quality and good prices - every time I visit my parents in Northumberland I come back with meat from this farm!

And this one in Sussex (the fields are opposite my house!)

http://www.rudgwickorganic.co.uk/

There will be others too but I know both of these personally and can vouch for the quality.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Another approach would be to contact your local Wildlife Trust [insert shameless plug here] - in your case http://www.wildlifebcnp.org/index.htm

Quite a lot use cattle and/or sheep on nature reserves, and these animals are not exempt from the normal lifecycle, so to speak. I personally don't know any selling to the public, but know a couple sell to staff members for very good prices. Worth asking, though knowing the UK there might be red tape preventing it. Others sell the animals at market i.e. no meat comes back.

Also, are you somewhere rural? Check noticeboards in local farmer supply / equestrian shops - I've seen adverts up for half a pig, etc.

@breadsauce

Thanks for the links! I've heard that Kielder produce good meats, I'll have to try them out; I haven't heard of Rudgwick. I can't compare quality, but I can get similarly priced produce locally, maybe I should have emphasised affordability a bit more in my original post Although when talking about organic meat, I'm not sure it can be found much cheaper.

@NorthernMonkeyGirl

Thanks for the idea about contacting the wildlife trust, wouldn't have thought of that! I live in the city (as much as you can in Cambridge) so I don't get out to farm shops as much as I'd like to, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for those offers; I must say, half a pig would go down quite nicely right now
    Last edited by KalleAnka; 08-30-2010 at 07:02 AM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    KalleAnka, I don't know if you like mutton, but the shoulder of mutton from Kielder is a BIG joint and will do several meals. Works out quite reasonable price too.

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    KalleAnka, I don't know if you like mutton, but the shoulder of mutton from Kielder is a BIG joint and will do several meals. Works out quite reasonable price too.
    I've never actually had mutton. I was only looking at the prices for common cuts of meat. I haven't been eating primally for too long, I still haven't got into the habit of looking out for the more unfashionable cuts, offcal, etc.

Thanks again for the tip, I'll give them a try!