Thread: Hi from Minneapolis! page

Renae is offline Member

Talking Hi from Minneapolis!

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks,

I've been lurking and looking at MDA and the forum for about a month. I think I found MDA by looking up paleo diets on the internet. I've done Atkins and South Beach diet with some reasonable success in the past. I always noticed how much more even keeled I felt and how I didn't feel like my blood sugar was spiking or crashing when I wasn't eating grains/sugars,etc. I really feel like the primal blueprint is a real, manageable way to live and I feel I am more on board with this as a lifelong way of eating than I did with Atkins or South Beach. I think I thought of those more as a short term diet.

One of my main motivations is weight loss. I am hoping to lose 80-90 lbs. Also, I have had high blood pressure since high school and I would like to be medication free. Another motivation is feeling better emotionally about eating and food. I've had a long history of binge eating, over eating, etc. Of course, all of my craving and binges have been with sugar and carbs. I started seeing a therapist again recently about it and it has been somewhat helpful. I was also referred to dietitian, which I did not find helpful. When I told her my thoughts about wanting to start eating a primal diet as a way to help control those insane sugar cravings I have, she thought I was nutty and suggested eating more complex carbs. Anyways, enough with that...

I've made today my official start date of my primal WOE/lifestyle. I will be posting some awesome in progress success photos in a few months. I am highly exited about this!

I live in the lovely, artsy, and fun city of Minneapolis (however, it is winter-like for almost 6 months of the year, so I am going to start taking some Vit D, ha!). I live with my fiance and my 1 year old son.

I'll answer some of the general questions:

Your location: Minneapolis, MN

Age (If you want): 29

How Primal are you: just starting, so I am planning on being fairly strict for some time

Do you consume dairy: yes, and I think it will be hard to give up

Do you drink coffee or tea: 1 cup of coffee in the am

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss, better mental and physical health, wanting to not be hungry or crave sweets every 10 seconds, to not be fooled by the SAD/CW grain pushing crap we hear all the time.

Favorite exercise: swimming, walking, hula-hooping.

Favorite Primal food: butter

Best part about being Primal: I am sure I will have an answer in the near future.

Worst part about being Primal: I am not sure yet, but I am working on getting over my disgust with the idea of eating organ meats
    Last edited by Renae; 08-29-2010 at 06:40 PM.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    welcome;-) good luck on your journey!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi from Rochester! Nurse in cardiology at the mayo clinic.