Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Score a point for HIIT! page

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

At my gym, there's a group of endurance runners who go on a mountain trail run every week at Annadel State Park. It's approximately 5-1/2 miles on dirt and gravel trails up and down hills and lasts about an hour.

They've been trying to get me to go for ages. They know that I hate endurance cardio, and they insist that I'm not getting enough benefits from my HIIT workouts. (I do rounds of burpees, jumprope, pull ups, wind sprints, that sort of thing.) I never do endurance stuff; I warm up before I head to the gym by jaunting around the block 1/4 mile and that's it.

Well, yesterday I finally went for it. I managed to keep up with the pack; I ended up 6th out of 8, about 5 minutes behind the leader, and about 20 seconds behind two others.

Word got around the gym today, and now I'm a minor celebrity. Apparently, most people can't stay the entire course their first time out. And I was the oldest one there! Most of the group is in their 20s and 30s, then a 40 and a 44 year old, and me, age 50.

The best part? Now that I proved I can do it, I am NOT doing it again! I'd MUCH rather spend a third of the time doing stuff I like!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Kudos! Wish I had been there to see the expressions on their faces.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

maba is offline Senior Member

Awesome dragonmamma! Way to go - it must have been such a great feeling!

Yeah, it was. I really wasn't sure how well I'd be able to hold up, seeing as how I never do a workout like that

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

That's awesome.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I walked almost a mile on the beach yesterday.

Much more fun and better scenery! Made some Vitamin D along the way.

I used to run for the "fun" of it and do treadmill cardio, etc. Then I woke up and realized I have nothing to prove to anyone (Ah so, gwasshoppa!). We are so obsessed in modern society with numbers, placement, goals, etc. I stepped off of that treadmill along with the other one. And now, per recent post and TIME magazine article, we know that all that exercise does squat for weight loss and can cause other problems. Why are the common people boosting the incomes of sports injury doctors??? Hmmmmmm.......

Remember, Jim Fix, author of "The Joy of Running" died on the side of the road of a heart attack at about age 43. He should have walked the beach.

Seriously, I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on your accomplishment, mama. I'm very happy for you!

Just offering a different perspective.

The thing is, OTB, I don't really consider it an accomplishment, just another piece of anecdotal "proof" that HIIT is a method that WORKS.

This is not something I'm going to repeat, because I didn't enjoy it, it takes too much time, and I think it's not good for the body. Particularly going DOWN the hills, I could tell that there was a lot of high impact on the spine, knees and ankles. I can see why habitual runners are so prone to knee and ankle injuries.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Isn't it awesome to see the theory work in practice?

I do occasional 6-8 mile runs and have been fascinated to watch my times improve even though the vast majority of my cardio work is interval/sprint, not distance work.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

I agree. I had someone training for a marathon ask me what kind of cleanse helped me to drop weight.

Yes, the cleanse helped me in the past, but she didn't want to hear about not eating grains and doing more lower-cardio exercises to increase her endurance for the big race.

Nope. She had several miles she HAD to do every day.

Katt is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Way to go! I'm trying to plan out an HITT workout tonight. So far, I'm terrible at coming up with a routine.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast