Thread: Acidity/Alkalinity page

Daughter of Grok Guest

Is the issue of keeping one's body alkaline really even a problem for those of us who eat near to 100% primal? What about stuff like vinegar, citrus fruits and other acidic foods? Do these throw off the bodies balance? Especially being that most of us probably use some sort of vinegarette on our salad every day.

Tarlach is offline Member

Don't know about "most of us". I don't like vinegarette or vinegar. Grok ate neither.

I think that if you eat citrus seasonally and not all year around, then that won't cause any problems.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Daughter of Grok Guest

Do you use anything as a dressing on your salads? If so, what? I used to use sour cream, but I've axed dairy, and am hesitant to use a vingarette, seems too acidic, I agree, Grok didn't eat either.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Its not foods that are acid or alkaline, its what happens in your body after you eat it. Most all fruit (including cirtus) and veg is alkalinizing (good!) due to the mineral content and so are most spices and seeds/nuts. Apple cider vinegar is alkalinizing. Acidifying foods are meats, dairy, grains, sugar and sweeteners (except stevia) and meds.

Its all about your food being acidifying and then your body compensates by usings its alkaline forces (minerals). Hence, high acid means your body gives away the minerals it should keep.

If youre primal with lots of veg, I think youre fine.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

DoG: I use mustard, herbs and oil... when I dont use vinegar. Also use lemon juice as the scid part in a vinegarette.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!