Thread: Triathlon page

TriGirl is offline Member

Triathlon

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

If I love running, biking and swimming but hate walking - could I do them instead as long as I keep the distances down (below 1 hour?). In my mind a 45min run is more relaxing than it is taxing, and the strength and complete body workout you get from swimming is absolutly fantastic.

So even though it's not really primal I figured I would substitute a normal run for a sprint and do some strength training and yoga to suplement the swimming. Do you still think I would get some of the benefits from a fitness perspective?

TriGirl

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I think the key is keeping your heart rate below 70% of max. If you are fit and running is relaxing and your heart rate is not too high, i don't see any problem. Same for swimming. However, aerobic activities done at a relaxing pace are NOT a substitute for sprinting. Sprinting is meant to STRESS the body for a short period of time, spurring rebound recovery and positive hormonal responses afterwards. This is a completely different type of stimulus. Sprinting should be done sparingly (once or twice a week) so as not to overstress the body and aerobic activity should be done at a pace that is enjoyable and sustainable, to avoid the excess inflammation and byproducts of glucose metabolism that are a result of chronic, higher intensity cardio work.

Rafiki is offline Junior Member
    I second barbs thoughts. Running is a completely acceptable activity as long as you are using proper form(no shoes is best!) and you aren't pushing it to hard.

Thanks for the inputs. And Barb reading my post again I kinda see how it could be read a bit wrong. I meant that I would substitute one of my 3 normal runs for a sprint to get more speed into my workout.

simplyryde is offline Member
    The strength training and sprints are key. I have too many friends that do tri's and do no strength or speed work. They just feel that they need to beat their bodies in the ground by doing more and more miles.

Okay so another question - I was thinking I would do a full body routine at the gym (app 30min) 2 or 3 times a week (8 excersises, 2 sets 60-90sec break in between). But I was wondering if I would see better results by doing a WOW kinda thing where I do push ups, sit ups, lunges etc, instead of one of the visits? Or is this pretty much the same?

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriGirl View Post
    Okay so another question - I was thinking I would do a full body routine at the gym (app 30min) 2 or 3 times a week (8 excersises, 2 sets 60-90sec break in between). But I was wondering if I would see better results by doing a WOW kinda thing where I do push ups, sit ups, lunges etc, instead of one of the visits? Or is this pretty much the same?
    Sure.

Hippykid is offline Junior Member
    Trigirl, i think you would get more benefit from a more WOW or PBF type of workout. Based on your triathlon goals and desires it is possible that you are strenght deficient form a PBF point of view. that being said, it is a matter of personal goals. I (a 210lb guy who enjoys triathlons as well) find it better and completely adequate to do a PBF workout push ups, pull ups, dips, squats OR deadlifts, cleans and presses.

what are you thinking for "total body" at the gym...lifiting light weights for mid or high reps is just more of the same (endurance work)

The "lift HEAVY weights" tenet should not be overlooked, even for endurance atheletes (who wont get bulky from the lifting anyhow).

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriGirl View Post
    Sounds like you are planning a split. Stick to the big five. Overhead press, bench, squat, dead lift, and cleans or bent row.

runnerbean is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi trigirl!
    What are your goals? What training are you doing right now? Something as simple as swapping a 45min run for a 30min run plus some strides would likely help from a performance POV as well as being more primal. Similarly, you could work in some hard accelearations into one of your rides. And 25s in the pool are awesome.
    Personally, I am not lifting any heavy things right now (I have my last big race in <gulp> 5 weeks) but I am doing lots of hill reps on the bike and run and swimming with paddles. I will probably do some actual weights in the off-season.