Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Least obvious Vibram 5 fingers page 3

crunchysue Guest

Primal Fuel

@lcme:

I have blue camo KSOs, and hardly get noticed in them when I wear long pants. In shorts, everybody notices. I also have black Classics, and I think they are more noticeable because of how much of my very white feet show. The contrast is striking Black KSOs, or black Classics with black Injinji socks would be the least noticeable, I think.

@Jess:

I wear my VFFs all day every day, and that includes my 3 mile each way bike commute. I love them for biking! I can curl my toes around the front of the pedals and grab them when I want a little extra power - it's almost like clipless pedals ... sort of. Not sure if I'll wear them all winter, but I may if they're grippy and warm enough in the rain (I live in Portland, OR). I use Crank Brothers 50/50 pedals which are DH pedals, and the little spikes actually feel great on my feet.

gt74 is offline Member

Can I ask what you guys in the US are paying (ball-park figure).

I'm looking for a pair in the UK but they start at 85 which is about $140.

That sounds to me like a rip-off.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

@Sue, do you know a proper pedal stroke? I bike QUITE a lot and don't want to put strain on areas I don't need it (knees..) Where is your foot supposed to be placed on the pedal? When I go barefoot, I use the ball of my foot to push down, but when I'm wearing shoes I use more of the rest of my foot.

crunchysue Guest

@Jess - I suppose the most proper pedal stroke would necessitate clipless pedals, so you could really do a full circle. That said, the other way to keep strain off your knees is to use a higher cadence in low gears.

I used clipless pedals for 20 years, and only switched to flat pedals when I started commuting year round last year. My feet were getting soaked and my Sidi Dominators were still wet for the ride home, so I got some waterproof Keen non-bike shoes and the flat pedals and was much happier. Turns out I liked the convenience of not having to change shoes all the time more than the convenience of pedaling on the upstroke.

And now that you mention knees, I realize that using flat shoes or VFFs pretty much forces me to use a higher cadence, and my knee pain is gone. I had forgotten about having it!

I should also add that I ride a big heavy utility bike (Surly Big Dummy) and I ride quite slowly compared to most people. In case you're interested in utility biking, my blog tells all about my bike: http://xtrasue.com And when I say high cadence, I mean that I just avoid grinding - it's not really all that high.

shastagirl Guest

i went to my local sports store who stocks them. they have a five fingers foot measure device thingy and it shows what size you need. mine fit perfect. they went on my rafting/camping expedition recently.

jtkeith is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@gt74 I got mine via vibramfivefingers.com for about $80 USD.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123