Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figs! page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Figs!

Primal Fuel
    Why did anyone ever adulterate them into Fig Newtons!? I've never had them really, except enjoy a few dried ones, but today at Whole Foods they had a sample of Fig's with goat cheese drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette and honey. Oh my wow! The fig was amazing. We bought two packages. I had no idea figs were so delicious!

I will enjoy them plain, I'm sure, but I'm curious if others have a favorite way to enjoy such an enjoyable treat.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    They are a good source of minerals, especially calcium.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I absolutely love figs. I got some a few weeks ago from a farm stand and they were awesome.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    I hate to have to actually ask this, but.....how does one eat a fresh fig? Are there pits? Are they good plain or are they better with something? I've never had one, and I'd like to learn but I sometimes get hung up on foods that I don't exactly know how to approach. (And I LOVE the word fig)
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Just wash and eat! There are seeds, but they are consumed with the fig. I can't think of another fruit that has edible seeds in it like this one But if you google figs, I'm sure you'll see a picture of one opened.

As I mentioned, at Whole Foods they put balsamic vinaigrette, honey, and goat cheese them on. It was pretty good, but I don't care for goat cheese sweet paired with sweet flavors. If you do, you might like that combo.

I also read that putting prosciutto on them or wrapping them in bacon is tasty as well. I found many more ideas from googling. Good luck!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Srlsy.... you are right that they are much neglected! I went to a barbeque a couple of months ago where they did fresh fig halfs with goat cheese and drizzled with balsamic and maple syrup and OH MY GOD! Lovely!! And seriously decadent...

Somehow with all the processed crapola we eat, we've lost a lot of amazing stuff.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    A friend at work brought some from her tree Friday! Happiness is...or was. Said figs are long gone. :-)
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Fresh figs cut into quarters or slices, topped with a full-fat Greek yogurt, a drizzle of honey, and a few chopped walnuts is one my fave desserts. Divine! Though the options above sound lovely, too. And, I'd like to try fresh figs stuffed with blue cheese one day, when I can get my hands on some decent fresh, ripe figs -- hard to come by where I am... *sigh*

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    This year my fig tree only produced 1 fig! It was delicious and left me wanting more....

They are divine wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with olive oil.

localad is offline Senior Member
    They are divine wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with olive oil.
    +1

....but also try the above after roasting them in a very hot oven for 5 minutes. +111
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast