Thread: When Right Weight and Good Enough Shape page

valdresjan Guest

Shop Now

How do you know when you are at the right weight? And when you are in good enough shape?

I'm 53 years old, 6'1" and 160lbs and feel great. But I feel just a good at 170lbs as well as at 175lbs. Maintaining weight is no problem. I love to exercise and want to be in shape as I grow older. I have no particular exercise goal and don't compete. I'm I doing too much or too little?

I'm pretty much primal except I love long, slow runs and I eat some dark pumpernickel bread regularly for lunch.

Just received The Primal Blueprint, which so far is a great read.

Any advice or comments from all you health guys out there?

VJ

Tarlach is offline Member

If you eat correctly, your body will adopt the best balance of body fat to lean mass. I have eaten paleo for three years and things just seem to sort themselves out. I thought I might be able to go a bit thinner, but my body just seems to sit at the same spot.

I lost most of my weight without any exercise and I'm certainly not going to do any cardio to see if I can drop any more.

I don't think we should be carrying much visible body fat though. If you eat well and regularly, your body has no need to store much fat...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

deepthought is offline Junior Member

I agree: Eat the right food, and let your body find it balance.

Curiousfarmer Guest

I'm back to my college weight. The important thing for me is to not allow that slow weight creep that accompanies aging in the US.

I also want to keep enough muscle tone to I can enjoy all of my recreational activities.

MikeFrench668 Guest

VJ,

I think its all about your personal goals. In my opinion, unless someone needs to carry more muscle on their frame for a sport or specific activity, leaner is always better. Additional weight, fat or muscle, is harder on our body's systems.

I was a bodybuilder in High School and I can tell you for a fact that today at 37 years old, I am much stronger, and have much better power~endurance, and cardio than I did when I was 20.

I concentrate on strength, and exercises that translate into "real world" Fitness. Kettlebells are a favorite of mine. I also like taking "power walks" with additional weight to up the intensity.

Its all about what makes you feel good about your Fitness and improves your Fitness for life.

My 2 cents. ;-)

Best,

Mike

valdresjan Guest

Thanks for all your comments!

I definitely like being lean but are there real benefits to strive for 6% body fat like Sisson or is 11% ok? Looking good to me at my age is less important than being healthy and strong as I grow older. Still wearing waist 29-inch jeans like I did in college, but not quite as muscular and lean, and gradually slowing down.

Balance is probably key and perhaps primal diet, exercise and time will make me asymptote toward the perfect situation for me.

VJ

deepthought is offline Junior Member

VJ: 11% is pretty lean I thought I was the worlds most ripped person whan I got under 13%(starting at 21%, due to the classic low fat high carb, gainer supplement bla bla eating). Since I started my primal path I lost some more(i probably around 10% but I dont care about it), but that is more a positive side effect. Fat loss never was the primary goal for me, I wanted to feel better, not get sugar drops before meals, and food coma afterwards.