Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family turns swimming pool into greenhouse and home for chickens and fish page

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Family turns swimming pool into greenhouse and home for chickens and fish

I love this!

http://gardenpool.org/

I just asked them two questions:

1. Was it difficult to get building permits for this?

2. How do they keep the chickens from roasting inside a greenhouse in Arizona heat?

Just got an answer from them:

Hi Naomi,
    Thanks for the email. Believe it or not we have only had our website up for less than 30 days. We have received an incredible amount of visitors and emails in the past week due to our recent media exposure. Now that we have our share of frequently asked questions, the FAQ page will be up as soon as we have some time to post it. We area also a husband and wife team with two young kids so we do the best we can with the time we have.

1. We haven't had any problems with the city we live in. Dennis is experienced in the construction field having worked as a project manager under licensed contractors. The city seems rather supportive so far....

2. The chickens are inside of the Garden Pool which stays cooler than the outside temperatures due to the evaporative cooler. Chickens are raised in hot places (such as Hawaii, Mexico, Iraq and Egypt) and they seem very happy living in the Garden Pool.

Thanks again,
    Dennis & Danielle McClung
    GardenPool.org
    Last edited by dragonmamma; 08-29-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: adding the answer

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I hope they never need to refi. A pool without water is a deal-killing no-no and I just don't think they'll talk any lender/investor into considering this as anything other than an unfilled pool.

But a very inventive and interesting idea for sure.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be too sure of that. Sounds like it could turn into a big tourist attraction.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Love this!

I wonder how they're getting "unlimited tilapia fish" I didn't see any swimming around and how fast can they reproduce and reach maturity? I guess they're not eating fish everyday but still ... it's an awesome idea I fully support it and hope it "catches on" ...

leera21 is offline Member
    It really depends on where you live.I would like to have chickens here,but in the village limits,chickens are still considered livestock and are not allowed.....in some cities,chickens have been reclassified as pets,and therefore,are allowed....it's all in the zoning....as far as being sellable yeah it could put a damper on being able to sell the property,or even reduce the value,but if they are not planning on selling,and are keeping up with the mortgage,it would be the last thing to consider.

I've got an acre and a half of space here,and plan on putting up a greenhouse in the next couple of years.
    This spring I used a Starter House,made by Flower House.It's big enough to hold well over 100 starter plants,and worked quite well.
    Once finished with it,it simply folds up for storage.

I started nearly all my garden plants from seed,and have been able to share some delicious results with friends and coworkers.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    I hope they never need to refi. A pool without water is a deal-killing no-no and I just don't think they'll talk any lender/investor into considering this as anything other than an unfilled pool.

But a very inventive and interesting idea for sure.
    They financed the house with an empty pool.

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of what could be a great pool (especially in the desert heat)? That pond looks terribly dirty as well, their filters do not seem to be working too well.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of what could be a great pool (especially in the desert heat)? That pond looks terribly dirty as well, their filters do not seem to be working too well.
    I think tilapia do that to water... it's just part of their environment.

As for it being a waste, well they are feeding their family, and perhaps making money off of tourists...

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    That's interesting. My BIL has been a broker for a few decades, and they just don't do empty pools. Safety hazard. They have to get filled.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i take my hat off to them for ingenuity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast