Thread: For the barefoot runners out there.... page

Drifter is offline Member

For the barefoot runners out there....

Primal Fuel
    I just got some vibram five fingers (which are fantastic by the way) and decided to go for a short run of a little less than a mile. From what I have read it is highly recommended to ease into it so I am trying to hold myself back even though I want to run for much much longer . The question is though, when you are running what do your strides look like? I noticed that when I was running I just naturely started running on my toes. I went a couple of blocks before I even really noticed that my heal hadn't even hit the ground or if it did it barely touched. Is this the form that many of you take or am I doing something wrong?

Rafiki is offline Junior Member
    YES! this is the form we evolved to run with. This is the most efficient way to run!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Your heel does need to at least barely touch the ground, at least until you have run in VFFs for a while. Otherwise, you will have calf pain and/or cramps.

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Yep, forefoot first, and heel briefly touching when the shock has been absorbed. It's really important to keep your feet under your hips under your shoulders. And really, really relax - floppy and loose. Here's two excellent vids:

http://www.vimeo.com/12551218

http://www.vimeo.com/12636509 (the last few minutes are a brief tutorial)

HTH.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Yer doin' it right.