Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nike Free page

kjake55 Guest

Primal Fuel

I read in Markís book that aside from Virbram 5-Fingers, Nike Free is a good alternative to barefoot. Due to various injuries a weaknesses in my feet and ankles Iím just not confident in going barefoot, especially when CF training but would like to break into it. When I looked on the Nike site the average price was about $85.00!! Before I consider spending that kind of money I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Nike Frees and if so what are your thoughts pro and con?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

10climbe Guest

I once had a pair, and the heel was a lot bigger than I expected. I think that this is because they wanted to provide support for the traditional heel strike. Overall I wouldn't recommend buying frees if you plan on wearing them a lot, mine ripped very quickly right where the fabric attached to the heel. I would buy vibrams, they are actually cheaper too.

FunkadelicFlash Guest

Yes, I know in my group of friends, The Nike fits actually wore out in a matter of months. The 5-fingers are highly recommended, though. Best of luck to you in your primal adventures!

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I have Nike Free 5.0s and love them. I walk about 3 miles per day and traditional sport shoes hurt my feet and ankles. I can walk in these all day and my feet feel great. Haven't noticed any unusual wear yet - they look like new and I've used them about 2 months now. They are not barefoot, but they are a good move from the typical sports shoe to a more barefoot feel. Buy a half or whole size larger - they definitely run small! I can walk in flipflops or barefoot all day and these are the only shoes that don't make my feet hurt.

I tried to get the 3.0s which are supposed to be even more barefoot feeling, but they must be phasing them out. I had to buy the 5.0s online from the Nike site.

Mick Guest

[quote]

I read in Markís book that aside from Virbram 5-Fingers, Nike Free is a good alternative to barefoot.
    </blockquote>

I haven&#39;t seen him say he wears them himself, however.

Personally, I&#39;d avoid them.

For Nike - who after all started the whole nonsense of crazily built-up "sports" shoes - they are minimalist. From any more normal point of view they are anything but. They&#39;re a lot of shoe and interfere with the natural movement of the foot too much. In the long run that means trouble.

The people with the healthiest feet are those who wear nothing on their feet at all, as this important study (among several) shows:

http://web.wits.ac.za/NewsRoom/NewsItems/feet.htm

So, for those who don&#39;t want actually to go barefoot, looking for shoes that are next to nothing might be a better bet.

A pair from one of the small moccasin makers that still make traditional flat moccasins might be OK. Or some Tai Chi shoes, such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/Asics-Onitsuka-Tiger-Tai-Chi-white/dp/B001CBY5PC/

Or make your own Huarache sandals with one of Barefoot Ted&#39;s kits:

http://barefootted.com/shop/

MikeHell Guest

When I started running sprints barefoot my anterior shin pain went away. But then I started having troubles with my left heel and stopped sprinting altogether while it gets better. So I guess the problem with barefoot is hard heel strike. Any suggestions for how to deal with this problem? I don&#39;t know if VFFs will help.

SullynNH Guest

are you running or sprinting barefoot, if you are sprinting you should be up on the balls of your feet naturally and your heels shouldn&#39;t touch the ground....if you are running you should be landing near to the middle part of the forefoot (metatarsal area) which would minimize the heel strike

http://www.youtube.com/v/9itkEkcQ8WM good example of barefoot running (not sprinting of course)

lcme is offline Senior Member

I LOVE mine. I would definitely say that they are somewhere between traditional running shoes and bare feet. The 5.0s are really great. I work at a running shoe store, and although i still have to sell regular running shoes, I believe that my achilles tendon problems were caused by traditional pronation control running shoes. I now am pain free during and after running as long as I wear my Frees.

lcme is offline Senior Member

Sully commented above on heel striking and I completely agree. If you are wearing a shoe where you are wanting to heel-strike then I don&#39;t think that is the right shoe. Would you ever think of running barefoot and heel-striking? Talk about painful.

I forefoot strike in my Frees but not my brands-which-shall-not-be-named-shoes.

MikeHell Guest

Thanks for the vid, Sully. I can see the problem. But can you get the same or greater power and acceleration by running on the forefoot? I find that hard to do at my peak speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast