Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is lard good or bad? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Is lard good or bad?

Primal Fuel
    My mom and I were looking through the site tonight, reading articles, and it was going along fine until we went to lard. She said it simply clogs arteries.

So?

Have a read of this article. And this one. Oh, and this one too. They all have very good reasoning why saturated fat isn't the nasty beast it's made out to be by CW.

Edit:
    Oh, and if you want to know the real culprit when it comes to artery clogging, check out the Definitive Guide to Cholesterol.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    lard is wonderful and nourishing (from a good source of course). no worries;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    lard only clogs arteries if you believe CW. its a great cheap source of pork fat
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff I use it along with coconut oil, butter and tallow (beef fat).
    Be not afraid!
    Agree with above comments, I think the sugar in the blood thickens the blood/inflammation and exacerbates 'artery clogging', or thereabouts.

jarnapal is offline Member
    It's the richest source of Vitamin D besides Cod liver oil. Lard has about 2800 UI of D3 for 100g. Most of the fat I'm consuming comes from pork.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i never thought of the vit. d. i guess it makes sense considering we store it in our fat. animals store it in their fat. duh. one more reason to love the lard!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    It's maybe worth noting too that lard is used extensively in cooking by the Okinawans, who are famously long-lived.

Australian Aborigines used to specially obtain the fat from round the kidneys of possums, which is highly saturated. In Canada native peoples tended only to kill the oldest caribou - partly so that they could get the large slabs of back-fat. Those would be highly saturated. Plains Indians in the U.S. selected the fattest carcases from those they killed, abandoning the leaner ones.

In brief, hunting peoples all over the world, went for about as much fat, particularly saturated fat, as they could get. Agricultural civilizations have valued it highly too. It takes a completely back-to-front urbanized post-industrial civilization driven by theory - and bad theory at that - rather than practice to conclude that what people have always specially prized and eaten for aeons is bad for them. Compare the health (and the state of the bones and teeth) of modern people with that of hunter-gatherers or herders, and it can be seen that the suggestion that diets high in meat and fat are bad for people is simply nonsense.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I do believe that there is vitamin D in lard - but NutritionData gives none as the amount! I think they are wrong on several things however - so I'll keewp eating my lard, chicken fat, duck fat and meat drippings!

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Where do you guys get your lard? Is it all the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast