Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat Free Times? page

Lenny is offline Junior Member

Meat Free Times?

Primal Fuel
    My wife and I are about a week and a half in on "going primal" and so far we're loving it! The food's great, we feel good and already are losing a bit of weight.

I do have one question, as part of our religion (Orthodox Christian) we often fast from meat (except invertibrates), dairy. At this time we usually eat TONS of bread, beans, peanut butter, oatmeal and rice. Does anyone have any suggestions for recipes that stick to primal food that avoid the aforementioned foods?

Thanks in advance!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How long do you abstain from meat for?

Smoothies made of coconut milk, avocado, berries, etc. might get you through it, or green salads topped with whatever invertebrates you eat (oysters? insects?). If you fast for less than two days, I'd say just try a long IF and save yourselves some headaches.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

Normally, there are a couple days a week set aside for this; however there are periods, such as Great Lent when we go for about 8 weeks.

Just to clarify terms (I'm new), what's an "IF"?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    IF: Intermittent fasting.

Eggs, eggs and more eggs! Heck, I do that a couple times a week without even trying.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, eggs are in the "no-no" category.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    How about lots of non-vertebrate seafood? Shellfish (shrimp, lobster), squid, octopus, clams, oysters.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    When fasting for religious purposes (my family is roman catholic) we eat a ton of seafood. To keep it cheaper, I make lots of soups and seafood stews.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be afraid to stick with legumes. Traditional cooking methods deplete the toxins. My Greek Mother-in-law used to cook fakhi (brown lentils) and revithia (chickpeas) regularly. She was still swimming every day, winter included, until run over in her eighties

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Change your religion? I'm serious. No religious belief is worth trashing your body, is it?

I can't think of a thing you could substitute for meat that would be 100% Primal. Cheese, maybe, but that really doesn't do it for me, and you've said "no dairy." Can you eat eggs?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Change your religion? I'm serious. No religious belief is worth trashing your body, is it?

I can't think of a thing you could substitute for meat that would be 100% Primal. Cheese, maybe, but that really doesn't do it for me, and you've said "no dairy." Can you eat eggs?
    Shellfish isn't primal? I don't agree with the idea that religious fasting will trash one's body. My family takes fasting very seriously, and so I try to accomodate their beliefs when cooking for them. (Seafood also happens to be delicious!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast