Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating local not so ecological? page

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member

Eating local not so ecological?

Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's no wonder the NY Times is losing readers. Blah.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    A modest cornucopia of mixed bullsh*t. Kinda reminds me of stories that get better after the fella's in the donut shoppe are done with them.
    Bit of fact, bit of urban legend, dubious math and the one that kills me ... another article where someone assumes they know what I'm thinking.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Complete nonsense.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Owly is offline Senior Member
    The article also leaves out any discussion of the relative nutritional value of food that is local versus shipped. Food loses a lot of its benefit in transit, particularly if it is coming from the other side of the world and treated with some of the preservation methods necessary to ship fresh fruit to the other side of the planet. It also ignores the importance of local farming to issues of food stability, regional economic health, transitioning away from destructive factory farming, and other factors. Eating local is about far more than just gasoline.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Ugh to that article. His blog "liberal curmudgeon" is aptly named.

This article reminds me of so many news stories that use a lot of words to really say nothing and the author doesn't seem to get the joys of eating local. For most locavores, the cost of fuel is way down on the bottom of the list. For me, you just can't beat the taste of produce harvested that day (or in the case of peaches, a couple of days ago). I believe the produce, meats, dairy and eggs from small farms a mile or two up the road to be much healthier too.

Locavores in New England understand all too well that this pleasure is seasonal. Yes, many preserve the bounties of summer for use during the winter but for the most part, during that time we have to go back to getting foods from other (warmer) parts of the country or even other countries. We also understand that foods like pineapples, kiwi and mac nuts will never grow in New England and we have to buy the shipped in stuff if we want those items.

Eating local is not about math; it is about trying to eat foods grown in their season and without much fuss in processing and shipping. It's about supporting your local farmers. And it's about taste.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    He can think whichever way he likes but for me and my family I'll take local foods anyday of the week. It is not only healthier but also I help support those around me. What could be better than that? This is also about control for me. We have no control over so many things in our lives but with this I do. I can meet the farmers and get to know them personally, even help them out on occasion which gives me a better understanding of where my food comes from and the energy required. Besides theres nothing like getting a little dirty here and there.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    his analysis was from a single perspective, that of energy requirement in the production/transportation/storage/processing of food stuff. Ithink he makes a very good case from that perspective.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    maybe, but who makes a decision like that based on ONE thing??

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Right guys but I don't think his point was to piss all over the other virtues of eating local food, just the environmental issue. There's plenty of other reason to do it.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast