Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soup Bones??? page

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Soup Bones???

Shop Now
    Got myself some grass-fed soup bones with the meat still on 'em. What the hell do I do?!? ;-) I have 3 of them at about 1.8lbs total.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm roasting then making stock, one hunk at a time, in my teeny slow cooker..... it'll take me bout a week! Search MDA for marrow / bones and there were some recipes etc that came up

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Roast the bones in a pan so the meat browns. Transfer the bones and whatever juices to a soup pot. For 1.8 pounds you probably won't need a proper stock pot, but if you ever get into stock-making in larger quantities this is the way to go. I'm not doing this much anymore, but when I used to make stock I'd go for 7-10 pounds at a time in a big stock pot.

Then cover the bones with water and then a little more. Bring water to gentle simmer. For first half hour skim off any gray scum every 10 minutes or so. After that you can cover and let it go for several hours. Cookbooks vary from recommending 4-8 hours for beef stock and the WAPF folks say even more. Mid-way though I like to add a quartered onion, a chopped carrot and a couple stalks of celery if you want, as well as a bay leaf, springs of thyme and parsley or even leek greens if you have any lying around. The veggies are kind of optional but this is the traditional version you will see in most cookbooks. After it is done just strain everything and push down on the veggies a bit to extract the juices.

Really good for French onion soup! It would be easy to make a primal adaptation of this. Just omit the toast, top with cheese if you want but I'd do marrow Or you can reduce it further to make a delicious sauce for steak. There are many variations - with red wine or even cognac, with butter, shallots, marrow... google and you'll find things to try.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    What TigerJ said. Goood stuff. I roast bones for about 20 minutes at 450. (standing up on end, not the sides). If you want to scoop out the marrow at that point and blenderize it with water, it stock-ifies faster. (but the stock will be cloudy as a result.) Put all that and the bones just covered with water for the stock, along with the mirepoix mix TigerJ mentions above (celery, onion, carrot.)

I tend to cook the stock with just the bones for a long time with or without some of the veggies. Then take all the solids (including the veggies) out, then add fresh mirepoix at the end so it's not cooked into mush. That way all the veggies add body, like a stew, so I don't need pasta. But that's if you want to eat it that way as opposed to using the stock for something else, of course.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

shannon is offline Senior Member
    suck out the freakin' marrow...omg delicious! make some stock mmm
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

For sure if you have marrow bones then eat that! Don't skim it out. But she said soup bones with meat so assumed they weren't marrow bones., maybe some neck bone or something. Where I shop these are packaged differently (and maybe priced a bit differently too).

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Oh man I am such a newbie with slow-cooking! They are like, round little steaks with one single bone in them. So... I should pan-fry them until they get brown, then stick them in a pot with water and let them simmer for 4 hours? Then I will have cooked meat to eat for lunch and beef stock for whatever purpose later? Is this right?

I have cauliflower, carrot, onion, kale for vegetables...

Annika is offline Senior Member
    In general, cruciferous veggies like cauliflower and kale aren't great for stock. They tend to give it a bitter taste. Onions, garlic, carrots, and celery are good stock veggies.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    For sure if you have marrow bones then eat that! Don't skim it out.
    No no I mean I take the marrow out and blenderize it then put it all back in! Just saves me cooking time.

If you're making stock it's a long cooktime so the meat on the bones and an veggies will be a cooked out into the broth by the end. Not really good eating but all the good stuff is in the broth by then. So that's why if I do want to make it into soup I use fresh veggies after that point.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

OK, these aren't soup bones. I think you have shanks aka osso bucco. That's great too.

This is an involved recipe but it has a pic - is this what you have?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Anyway if so you can google 'osso bucco' and primalize it. You don't need any flour. Yes, you have it right, brown first then braise in liquid on very low heat until tender. I think they will be done in 90 minutes - 2 hours if simmering on a stove. Then slurp out that marrow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast