Thread: Organic chicken thighs in the crockpot! page

workinhard is offline Senior Member

Organic chicken thighs in the crockpot!

Primal Fuel
    Never done this before, so last night I thawed out my chicken thighs... poured a can of chicken broth into the crock... set it on low.

Rubbed the chicken with a mixter of, minced garlic, pepper, chili powder and a pinch of kosher salt. Let it cook on low overnight.

I'm currently eating it now, and this might be the best chicken I've ever had! And before primal, I was never a fan of chicken thighs... this is AWESOME! And also, the crockpot might be the best invention ever.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I love to buy a big package of chicken thighs (like 5 lbs+) and just throw them all in the crock pot (sprinkling seasonings between "layers" of chicken). Some people think the skin is gross when they're cooked in the crock pot because it's all soft/mushy but I don't mind it. And if you cook them long enough, the ends of the bones are soft enough to eat. Oh man, now I'm hungry. =]

We eat some that day, throw some in the fridge to use in something else a few days later, and debone and freeze the rest. There are soooo many things you can do with pre-cooked chicken.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    i usually fry my chicken thighs cause i love crispy skin, but i will have to try this.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Never had chicken thighs before PB,now have them most days.

Love em to bits.

workinhard is offline Senior Member
    Meatme, it's definitely worth a shot. I wasn't sure I'd like the skin either... but it was awesome.. and so easy.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    I love my crockpot for this purpose. I'm on a kick right now where I cook the chicken thighs up in a mixture of vegetables in the crock-pot, remove the chicken after it's done cooking, shred that, and puree the veggies for an easy go to meal. Soo tasty.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    I love to buy a big package of chicken thighs (like 5 lbs+) and just throw them all in the crock pot (sprinkling seasonings between "layers" of chicken). Some people think the skin is gross when they're cooked in the crock pot because it's all soft/mushy but I don't mind it. And if you cook them long enough, the ends of the bones are soft enough to eat. Oh man, now I'm hungry. =]

We eat some that day, throw some in the fridge to use in something else a few days later, and debone and freeze the rest. There are soooo many things you can do with pre-cooked chicken.
    This actually brings up a question for me... I've been making tons of crockpot chicken thighs the past few weeks and the bones in these thighs are turning extremely soft. I considered eating one of them but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. I know people consume marrow from other animals, but eating the actual bone/marrow from a chicken?

Thoughts?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    This actually brings up a question for me... I've been making tons of crockpot chicken thighs the past few weeks and the bones in these thighs are turning extremely soft. I considered eating one of them but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. I know people consume marrow from other animals, but eating the actual bone/marrow from a chicken?

Thoughts?
    I do it. Tastes pretty good to me. I guess most of the "good stuff" gets into the liquid of the crockpot so I don't know if there's a huge benefit to eating the marrow+bones, but I do it anyway.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, good question. I did some searching and found some references to people making stock with chicken bones to get minerals out of them, or grinding or blending them up (either as a food or a supplement), but no clear answer on whether they're beneficial. I think all bones have a fair amount of minerals in them, some of which is bound to be accessible if the bones are really soft. Chicken fat tends to be less nutritious than some other animal fats, so maybe this applies to the marrow as well, but there's not a whole lot of marrow in a chicken bone anyway.

I can't imagine it would actually be HARMFUL as long as you're staying far, far away from any crunchy/slivery parts that could scrape or puncture your insides.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.