Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fried Pork Skins page

10climbe Guest

Primal Fuel

I was in the snack isle the other day when I happened upon "Fried Pork Skins." When I looked what was in them, it said; fried pork skins, and salt. With 2.5g Sat. fat, 7g Protein, and zero carbs, it seemed fairly primal. Am I missing something, or would these be a healthy alternative to carbohydrate filled chips?

grandma is offline Member

only if you eat them. They are good go for it.

They are fried in lard, so you don't even get a does of cotton seed oil in the process.

As I understand it (saw it on dirty jobs) they are made as part of the lard rendering process.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I love pork skins. They're one of my favorite snacks, especially when dipped in seasoned mayo.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

One of the best Atkins/Paleo/Primal snacks. Lots of calories and a surprisingly high in protein.

Put some Tapatio hot sauce on, yummy!

Tarlach is offline Member

It's just a pity how much salt they usually contain...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Whaaat? I can eat fried pork skins again?!?! Hell yeeeah! You don't think they go through dirty processing? I always felt a little dirty eating them personally...

grandma is offline Member

As far as I understand that fry the skins in their own fat. I'm sure the flavored ones have nasty stuff in them, so get the plain. It is all very simple and traditional as far as I know.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

gazb is offline Junior Member

Totally gonna get some of these for my camping trip this weekend. It's the sort of thing I'd expect to come with added sugar and salt (doesn't everything these days? Can hardly even find beef jerky without added sugar...) but I'll check the ingredients. Are they common in supermarkets (in the UK specifically)?

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

ick ick ick...totally grossed myself out on these on atkins! never again! oh man my stomach just turned lol xooxo Darlene

Mick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [quote]

Are they common in supermarkets (in the UK specifically)?</blockquote>

Pork scratchings are a traditional English snack (there are references to something like them going back to the Middle Ages, I believe). Presumably other cultures that kept a lot of pigs had them, too.

Whether you&#39;ll get them in modern English supermarkets is another matter. Pubs tend to have them. Most seem to be made in the Black Country - which was, of course, a large-scale pig-breeding and pig-processing area awhile back. (See, for example, George Borrow&#39;s comments on Wolverhampton pig breeders in Wild Wales.)

As I say, you do get them in pubs. Like anything else these days, however, they tend to have a lot of trash in. Here&#39;s a picture of the back of a packet:

http://hywelsbiglog.wordpress.com/2009/03/15/snack-food-review-mr-porky-pork-scratchings-seasoned-pork-rind/

Notice, among other things, the presence of MSG, which is really bad news.

Some at least are fried in vegetable oil, too:

http://www.meatprocess.com/Product-Categories/Ingredients-and-additives/Pork-scratchings-gain-oil-extension-with-rosemary-extract

Unless you know a butcher who makes his own, it might be best to avoid them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast