Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Friend lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

Friend lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks

Primal Fuel
    On a raw vegan diet. I just don't know how this is physically possible. She is not exercising, says she feels great all the time, boundless energy, it has apparently 'cured' her of so many ailments.

I am just not understanding how she can drop 30 lbs in 6 weeks. That means she had to be in a deficit of 105,000 calories over a 6 week period. How the hell is that even possible (forget about healthy)?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    "Ailments" are oftentimes simply caused by an extreme intolerance to wheat and other grains, or dairy. It is ridiculous how many people don't qualify as celiac or lactose/casein intolerant but are still harmed by them. Muscle mass counts as weight too! And it is apparent that when you isolate one macronutrient you control insulin resistance, even if it is carbs. But the fact of the matter is that to be optimally healthy and age optimally you need a good chunk of fat and protein, and especially ruminant fat, brains, game meat, fish, and the like. Watch raw vegans get sick to their stomachs the second they eat anything but what they do.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

I am not about to convert to a raw diet - it seems completely ridiculous to me (the little I know of it), but I am just amazed at her claim - I don't know how its physically possible (whether it is muscle, fat, water or tissue).

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Do souls weigh anything?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

It seems about 20 lbs in her case :-)!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Well, same as any other diet, that's not all going to be fat. Some of it's water, some is glycogen, some may be muscle.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    every now and then I cant help but wonder about the placebo effect. Even on primal... I'm always a little bit skeptical about these stories of ailments cured overnight (or within a few days), this boundless energy etc. Is it just because people want to feel this way and have convinced themself? Just a thought.

Placebo effect could have a lot to do with it, but I am still astounded at the fact that she could lose 30 lbs in 6 weeks.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Was she very overweight to begin with (because the more overweight you are, the faster you'll lose in the beginning).

Raw vegan diets are very detoxifying and can feel great... for awhile. They are too cleansing and not building.
    I was raw vegan for nearly 6 months and lost a lot of muscle. I have numerous former long term raw vegan friends. They all started not feeling so great a few years into it- less energy, skin issues, digestive/absorption issues, dental issues, etc. Oh- a number of them developed thyroid issues. A lot of them are now Primal;-)

chowza is offline Member
    Seems like a pretty clear case of "time will tell."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast