Thread: Are roasted zuchini and squash seeds edible? page

Wox Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and would like to know if any of you have ate roasted zuchini or squash seeds? My kids love roasted pumpkins seeds so they want to try different seeds. Plus the garden is FULL of them.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Yep, they surely are! Yummy, too.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Wox Guest

Thank you BarbeyGirl. I was searching on the web about zuchini seeds and found this site. What a awesome site, MDA, is just what I have been looking for. How interesting the journey for one thing leads to another quest.

becka Guest

Good question, Wox! I've often wondered that myself, but just never got around to asking the question. I'll be trying that next time I sauté up some squash and zucchini!

It can be a bit of a nuisence to get the stringy pulp off the seeds. I do it in a colander under running water.

Next, dry the seeds as thoroughly as possible (spreading them on a couple layers of paper towels works well).

Coat the seeds lightly with oil and season as desired (or not at all). Spread in a single layer on a foil-covered cookie sheet (the foil makes the sheet easier to clean).

Bake at 400 degrees, stirring occasionally, until toasted (about 20 min.) Enjoy!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Wox Guest

I've heard the lower the temp is the better, like around 160 and bake for longer. I do this for pumpkins seeds. I do not know the reason why. Have any heard of this? I actually think I read it hear from Mark about seeds. Any way I have been going 'primal' for a long time now just didn't know everything and still don't. I do need to get rid of 'bread stuff' for the family. I have 'feet draggers' at home. It's an on going thing to get my husband and children to eat healthy. The kids not so much LOL but husband is different. I do think he will be interested to learn he can eat MEAT and just cut out some other junk like sugar. I

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Shoot, I eat them raw, or just dried sometimes. My favorite is acorn squash seeds. Other times I'll cook and eat them separately.

Wox, I'll bet that's good advice about roasting the seeds at lower temps. Pretty sure the reason is that high temps damage nutrients, which is why I usually eat nuts and seeds raw, like DR.

As for bread/grain-eaters in the household...I have that, too. One way I deal with it is by making entrees like curries, stir frys, etc that are excellent without grains. If the others wish to cook up some rice as a side, that's their problem! The longer I stay primal, the less interested I am in the loaves of bread other people stash in my pantry.