Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 9

Owly is offline Senior Member
    And now for today's incredibly productive day in the kitchen!

No photos of breakfast, sadly. Bacon and eggs, I'm sure you're familiar anyhow.

First up? A couple of quiches. I had some eggs and tomatoes that needed using up.

Contents: Gruyere, Parmesan, spinach, mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes, sea salt, pepper (and eggs, of course).

Then the roast went in the slow cooker.

Then I whipped up a jar of primal ketchup (from the recipe in the PB Cookbook). My partner likes ketchup on his eggs, and this is a much better alternative. I don't usually like ketchup, but wow, do I like this stuff.

Then I sliced up some sweet potatoes and made some oven chips, cooked up some green beans and mixed them with butter and the bit of onion that was left from making the ketchup, and shredded the beef. There's even some nice bones left over from the roast to make bone broth.

Yeah, this primal eating thing is tough.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Owly and KBash - I'm from Edmonton too. I just started going to the Strathcona Farmers' Market every weekend for food too.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

You may spot my partner and I there sometime, although in the summer months we tend to go to the outdoor markets more often (Downtown on Saturdays, Salisbury on Thursdays, or Callingwood on Sundays/Wednesdays depending on the week). We're readily identifiable by our VFFs most of the time.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    We're readily identifiable by our VFFs most of the time.
    That's us too!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Oh, sadly neglected journal. I should probably start posting here again.

Anyhow, last night I made some enormous rib steaks for dinner, along with some broccoli and some white rice. I cooked my steak less than I expected--I usually like it fairly pink, but this was pretty much purple in the middle. Usually that would totally disgust me, but holy crap, it tasted like pure heaven. My rational brain was sort of disgusted (as was my partner a little), but my taste buds and stomach won out. It was probably a 12 oz steak--it covered more than half my plate--and I devoured it. Then I sort of remembered there was other food on my plate and ate it too, but that was mostly an afterthought.

Also, I'm down to 156 pounds, 20%-ish body fat and falling. Defeated the pull-up bar (well, mostly, I can't do lots in a row yet) and finally climbed the damn rope. Next up: muscle-ups and handstand pushups. Ooooh yeah.

Workout yesterday was 8 rounds, 45 seconds on, 15 off, situps and 103lb hang cleans. I made 204 reps total. My arms hate me and my abs don't care. I am the Situp Queen! (I'll let you supply the Lisa Simpson voice to go along with that one.)

Also, my bench press sucks because I never do it. I need to work on that.

Owly's Journal

So on Monday at the gym, I was working on muscle ups using a resistance band. It was working well, but then I lost my stability as I transitioned and fell, almost dislocating my shoulder and twisting my elbow. I was sure I was going to be messed up for the rest of the week.

Anyhow, I iced it as soon as I went home, and then my partner and I went for a loooong ramble in the river valley, about 14km. By the time we got back, my shoulder felt great, loosened up by the gentle movement of walking for a long time. Between that and eating really good quality food including stuff made with bone broth, my arm feels really great this morning, and I think I am good to go to the gym again today with no issues (although I will of course be careful).

I'm pretty sure this isn't what most doctors would prescribe.

I also did about half that walk completely barefoot. I was wearing VFFs, but we decided to go a lot farther than we'd planned when we first left the house, and my smartwool classics tend to rub if my feet are too sweaty for a long time and I'm not wearing socks. I decided to just take them off and avoid the issue. The pavement was a bit rough on my feet at times, but it was also great to be able to feel the difference between the shaded bits and the sunny bits, especially when I could tell where the shade had shifted as the sun moved, creating gradations of temperature. I may be a bit nerdy that way.

Walking on grassy bits was a pure delight, but for a lot of the trails we were on, we were in the woods, so there wasn't really a good place to walk other than on the pavement. I think if I do more barefooting, I might be able to walk on some of that terrain too, but right now, the skin on my feet is still a little too soft for that. I got a lot of weird looks from people, but I decided that I didn't care enough to want to put shoes on and just enjoyed the sensation of my feet on the ground.

Yesterday I was lazy and spent most of the day reading Into Thin Air, which I've meant to read for years. Now I want to go back and read Touching My Father's Soul to see how Jon Krakauer's account compares to Jamling Tenzing Norgay's story of the same events. I have no interest in climbing Everest, although I'd like to do a trek to Base Camp, but I'm sort of fascinated by it.

Owly's Journal

So I had a job interview today, and I think it went well. I really hope it went well, actually. We really can't keep living on one income (well, unless someone magically starts making a huge salary, which is unlikely for either of us). I think I connected with them and am definitely qualified for the job--it's just whether they agree and who is the competition.

Also, 100 burpees for time is pretty much my nightmare WOD. Plus we always end up doing burpees when I am on squats in my strength rotation. Let's see, 100 burpees on top of 5x8 front squats? Sounds great!

My thighs hate me.

Dinner tonight: meatloaf and sweet potato friends with curry mayo. Now following it up with hot chocolate (with sugar even) to subdue the PMS beast.

I have to wake up at godawful o'clock in the morning tomorrow to go to an all-day meeting in a city three hours away, and I can't afford to drive solo so I am carpooling with some other folks, including a couple of women who are dedicated volunteers but are kind of crazy-making in any sort of extended conversation. And there are 5 people in one small station wagon. Thank dog I went to the library on Wednesday and have an ample supply of reading materials.

Owly's Journal

Down to 155 pounds. Apparently my body comp is still shifting. I'm not really concerned about weighing less at this point, but I seem to still be shedding fat. I'm not making any particular efforts to get leaner at this point, just primal eating and staying active.

Owly's Journal

Okay, so I made the decision at the beginning of June that I could not really afford my Crossfit fees until I have work. So it's been three weeks since I've been at the gym, and I'm in serious withdrawal. I went with my partner to a nearby sporting goods store where they carry both new and used stuff so he could buy a cup for sparring (obviously, from the new stuff section!). Anyhow, they sell secondhand weightlifting stuff, including barbells, racks, etc. I spent a good 10 or 15 minutes imagining how I would set up a home gym if I had the money/space. I've also been harassing my partner about building me a pullup bar and ring setup for our garage. A friend of ours is a welder, so I think the boys should get together, drink a couple of beers, and build me a really awesome freestanding pullup frame.

This strength training stuff is addictive. Someone should have warned me.

So instead of the gym, I've been doing some bodyweight WODs using this Crossfit Travel app I downloaded for my droid. It's all stuff that's meant to be doable in a hotel room or park, so I don't need any equipment for it. I'm hoping that this way I don't lose too much in my time off. I've also been working on running, and there's a pullup bar at the playground that I've been using. If I run there and back, it's 1km, so if I run there, do a set of pullups, and run home, it's actually kind of effective. I also have some smaller dumbbells (a pair of 5lbs and a pair of 15lbs), so I should probably work on some Turkish getups, and I'm planning to do some handstand practice tomorrow.

I'm on with a couple of temp agencies, and I have an assignment for a week doing data entry starting on Tuesday. They're paying me $19/hour for it, so I might be able to pay my cell bill and still pull together my fees for July.

Also, I made this and it's like crack. I ended up using actual sugar (about half what the recipe suggests), but I'm going to try it with maple syrup next time. Yes, it's sugar, but you know what? I can handle a small amount of sugar with no issues, and damn, it's delicious on strawberries.

Owly's Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My ass is in size 4 pants today! I haven't been able to fit these ones since 2008. Happy dance!

The bodyweight and running stuff is going well. I'm working back to doing 5km comfortably again non-stop. This would probably progress faster if my route was flat instead of going down into the river valley and having a whole lot of ups and downs, but in the long run (see what I did there?) it will pay off since I'll be getting better at hill running at the same time. My partner and I have been running together, which is really nice because we can point out cool stuff and we can encourage each other. Okay, to be honest, it's mostly him encouraging me because he's a marathoner and it's nice of him to run slowly so I can keep up.

I am also really starting to get good at strict pullups and my chinups are rocking. This also has the side effect of giving me some rather sexy definition starting to emerge in my back and some growing lats. Kinda cool, that. Also, all my women friends ask me to show them my guns on a regular basis. I feel like She-Ra or something.

Eating-wise, the CSA has starting providing a lot of greens, so it's been all about the salads and putting chard in omelettes around here. So tasty. I'm looking forward to tomatoes soon. Also, I have never cooked garlic scapes before, and they are kind of fun. Having the CSA means being creative with what's available rather than whatever I feel like buying, which is a good culinary challenge.

My partner gave up sugar about 10 days ago (he's mostly primal but was having a lot of treats), and the results are amazing. He put on a bit of belly fat after the marathon, which I think was all about his body saying "what the hell, dude?!" and deciding to store as much as possible in case he decided to do that to it again. But with dropping the sugar, he's lost 12 pounds, almost entirely of fat. Gotta say, when he gets ahead of me on the running trail, the view of his calves makes me swoon a little. There's something about a man with nice legs, and we like to joke that he doesn't have calves, he has full-grown cows.

Owly's Journal

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast