Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 8

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh, where are you doing Crossfit? If it's my gym, I'll make sure to say hello in person!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

walkingbird is offline Member
    Love the mushroom-crusted pork chop, looks very good!
    By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

First, some fresh food pics!

Mini quiches (for portable, post-workout breakfasts), with cheddar, broccoli, and mushroom filling, topped with tomato:

I cooked a pork roast the other evening for a dinner with friends. Glazed it with a little crabapple jelly, dry mustard and white wine vinegar, and cooked it in the slow cooker with some dried apricots and a dry apple wine. No photos of the roast, though. The leftover pan drippings (including the lovely fat that cooked off the shoulder roast) were delicious, so I saved them. The next day, I put them back in the slow cooker with the addition of some currants and raisins, some marjoram, and some wonderful lamb leg meat. I stewed it all for about three hours--pure heaven! Sides were sweet potato pan fried in butter with cinnamon, sea salt, and black pepper, and some steamed asparagus (from frozen).

And from this evening, dining solo does not have to be boring! My beloved has his poker game with the guys on Thursday nights (it's a cliche, I know), so I was on my own this evening. I'd thawed some ground pork with the idea of making a tortiere with a potato galette topping, but today was busier than I had planned. I've been wanting to experiment with homemade sausage patties because storebought ones have a lot of weird stuff in them, and even the organic ones often contain gluten. I have all this wonderful pastured pork in the freezer, so I've been meaning to try it, and tonight was the perfect night. I mixed a pound of ground pork with an egg, some salt, sage, thyme, ginger, nutmeg, black pepper, and cayenne. Then I shaped it into patties, cooked them up in the cast iron pan with some coconut oil, and voila! Sausage patty deliciousness. I ate a few with a BAS of mixed greens and herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, and a friend's delightful coconut lime dressing (tastes like ranch but soooooooo much better). Oh, and a glass of saskatoon wine.

Other culinary delights this week included a chicken soup made with stock from the remnants of the lovely free range organic chicken I roasted last week, with bacon, onions, shallots, wild mushrooms, and parsnips. It was so tasty, and definitely worth the three days of torment while the stock cooked. Also, a bison roast with a mustard herb crust, eaten with baked sweet potatoes and broccoli with cheese sauce (cream, whole milk, and extra old cheddar...perfect). Primal eating makes me happy.

Crossfit is still going well, although tomorrow will be my first go at Karen (150 wallballs for time), so we will see how I like it after that! This week's entertaining exercise development is that I've started doing aquafit with my MIL on my non-Crossfit days. This all came about in an interesting way. Last week, my partner and I decided to go swimming and decided to invite his mom along because she loves the water. While we were at the pool, she was saying how sad she was to have nobody to go to aquafit anymore so she hadn't been in months. I asked her if she would go if I went with her, and she got really excited and said she definitely would. So now I am going to aquafit twice a week! It's great for her to get moving--she has arthritis and emphysema--and for me, it's basically a good way to stretch out and get some lower intensity cardio (I'd count it as moving slowly based on how the intensity feels for me). Also, it's a good bonding thing for us, which is great because I love spending time with her.

Oh, and I pick up my new car tomorrow! Yay!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

And yes, those are bananas on my table. So there.

Owly's Journal

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    You've got a great journal, and pretty much every single one of your meals looks incredibly delicious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    You've got a great journal, and pretty much every single one of your meals looks incredibly delicious to me.
    Thanks! I have always loved to cook, and for whatever reason, the shift to primal has seen me step up my game in the kitchen.

Owly's Journal

Last week at the farmers market, I bought some lovely fresh basil from a local greenhouse. I also had some lovely grassfed organic cream and a bag of frozen scallops on hand. So, of course, I wanted to try making scallops with a basil cream sauce. The result was delicious, but with too much sauce, so it was more like a scallop-basil soup. Next time, I'll cut back the liquid and reduce the sauce longer, but even as it was, my partner licked his bowl clean.

I'm really excited because our beef is being delivered next week. I have a friend who has her own farm, and all her cattle are free range and grassfed. This is her first year that she's selling, so I was glad to support her! She's a WAP advocate, so she "gets it" when it comes to my WOE too.

Also, I had my first yoga class last night. I need to manage stress better, and yoga will also be a good complement to lifting and Crossfit to increase mobility and reduce soreness. I am pretty flexible, but wow, do I feel clumsy trying to get the poses right. Fortunately, it's a beginner class with a really good instructor who spends time checking people's form and giving feedback (positive and corrective).

Owly's Journal

KBash is offline Junior Member
    Hey Owly, just wanted to say hi because I think we are in the same city (you mentioned a farm I recognize). Really love the journal, especially the food pics... yum!! Wondering if you could share your source for dairy? I get milk from Saxby through The Organic Box but I would love something non-homogenized and grassfed!

Oh hey, I should check for replies more often, huh?

I buy my dairy at either Earth's General Store or Planet Organic. Vital Greens Farms milk is available either place. I get good unpasteurized cheese from Sylvan Star Farms (at the Strathcona market or at Planet Organic), but I also use L'Ancetre raw milk cheeses from Quebec. If I can get out to the Salisbury farmers market in Sherwood Park, there's a local farming family that sells cream, butter, and dry cottage cheese there, and it's very good too.

Owly's Journal

New food photos! It's been a while.

Pork and butternut squash stew (recipe: Pork Loin and Butternut Squash Stew | Everyday Paleo). I had some garam masala that I brought back from India, and it was delicious.

Homemade pork patties (with fresh thyme, chives, sage, sea salt, pepper, and allspice), with a side of greens, onions, and yellow beans cooked in bacon fat. My sweetie had baked potatoes with his--the marathon training means he needs a lot more carbs than I do, so I often make an extra side of potato/sweet potato for him.

And yes, that is my cell phone in with the tomatoes. Not sure what I did there.

Owly's Journal

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast