Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 24

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    See, well, I might buy that except that they're not offering to load for anyone that doesn't have boobs.
    Well, those things are pretty powerful.

Here's what gets on my nerves: most of your 20somethings will "bench" way more than they really can, by way of a spotter who is essentially doing bent over rows while the dude heaves and convulses to do a set...only to jump up and exclaim in a voice loud enough to be heard across the gym "Yeah, 4th set of 10 with 275 was hard on me today".

The free weight section of a gym is 75% posturing, 20% bullshit, and 5% working out.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    So, 90 minutes of yoga yesterday with a lot of core work, and then deadlift day today. I am going to be achy tomorrow. On the bright side, I decided to push hard on the final set and see how many reps I could do at 190. I made 12 reps. Getting stronger? I think yes.

And now I'm up too late after finishing marking, and I really need to go to bed.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Whiny post:

I'm tired and cranky and headachy and generally a lumpy PMS beast. Send chocolate ASAP.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Whiny post:

I'm tired and cranky and headachy and generally a lumpy PMS beast. Send chocolate ASAP.
    That may be the best description I have ever read. You have my condolences. *sends you chocolate*
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

My very wise partner has left the house for the evening to hang out with a friend. This is the best choice for both of us under the circumstances.

Not sarcasm, by the way. After this many years together, we both know this is pretty much prime time for big arguments, so it's just better to leave each other some space for a day or two and avoid any potential explosions.

Owly's Journal

He didn't come home too soon and you killed him in a hormonal rage did you? Are you on the lam? Need a place to hide for a while? Is the police monitoring your internet usage?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Whiny post:

Ohhhhh, can I commiserate - Nurse! Organic, Fair Trade, Dark Chocolate IV STAT!!

I told the hubster a couple of years ago that there will come a time when his wife and four daughters will be cycling at the same time... so he should follow my instructions exactly to avoid explosive anarchy. Here they are:

1. Shut up. Not a word. Nada, nothing, zip. You are a guy, and clueless about this subject. I wouldn't presume to know about boners or wet dreams, you can't know about this.
    2. Get in car. Drive to nice upscale grocery store.
    3. Purchase five large containers of either sorbet or ice cream, depending on the female involved. (Two have dairy allergies)
    4. Return home, mentioning absolutely nothing of the cost of the super-premium ice cream you just bought. Remember, you are paying to avoid catastrophe, and an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. If you forget, see Number 1.
    5. Hand deliver ice cream, along with a spoon.
    6. Go and hide in the office until the females come and get you. When they do this, you are now safe to speak again.
    7. Repeat monthly.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    1. Shut up. Not a word. Nada, nothing, zip. You are a guy, and clueless about this subject. I wouldn't presume to know about boners or wet dreams, you can't know about this.
    Speaking as an ignorant man I am going to ask a very dangerous question....

Women experience this time of the month thing for let's say for 40 years. Let's say there are 10 a year to account for occassional misses and the fact the math is easy - 400 in that time. Now, given you experience something 400 times why is it such a bfd? Many women/society seem to hold this rather common event, experienced by roughly 1/2 the world's population as some cause for special treatment/poor behavior. Why is this? What am I as an ignorant man missing?

I would look at it something like this...when experiencing your monthly visitor:

1. stfu, if you can't be civil, don't speak
    2. get in the car, go to the store yourself. This is 2013 not 1950.
    3. Buy what you want so I can't be wrong by misinterpreting your demands
    4. Return home when you can act like a rational person again
    5. If you were thoughtful enough to get me something let me know or deliver it.
    6. Stay the frack away from me until you can act like a rational person again
    7. repeat monthly

I think I am rather spoiled by a wife that doesn't get crazy come that time. I guess ignorance is bliss.

(Oh, and CC, that was not meant as a slight to you. I just find the whole way society/tv/the media/etc portrays the whole thing rather insulting to women and men (based on how they are supposed to act))

*Edit - it is much like how men are portrayed when sick (even with a cold) - as if we just lay on the couch and ring a bell for service. If any dude really acted that way I would expect their wife to punch them in the throat.
    Last edited by canio6; 01-24-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Boy howdy canio, I fear your demise is coming rather soon.

Let it be known to all the females whom shall read the previous post, let not your hearts be hardened toward this man for he only speaks the truth and the truth, my dear ladies, shall set you free.

If your hearts must be hardened, take him swiftly and with mercy. He shall be a martyr for us...Saint Canio he is!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    (Oh, and CC, that was not meant as a slight to you. I just find the whole way society/tv/the media/etc portrays the whole thing rather insulting to women and men (based on how they are supposed to act))
    Hi canio! We are good, I am not taking it as any slight. I like you so much that I think you would have to actively chase me down here on the MDA and engage in some old-fashioned bullying to get me not to like you!

I do know what you mean. Popular culture/media portrayal of a whole raft of topics is why the hubster and I decided to go tv-free 12 years ago, and love it. The females of this house do not use Shark Week as an excuse to engage in unacceptable behavior - it is just that some months there really, truly is a mental/brain chemical/emotional component to it that sometimes will turn you into someone you are usually not, and having a GUY, even if it is their beloved daddy, say anything is counterproductive because you are really not reasoning well. Add real pain to the equation, and that is a recipe for some hefty household discontent. It is for these times that I gave hubby a really easy way to deal with it, one guaranteed to work in our household, with a minimum of fuss, as we don't keep ice cream in the house as a pantry item but universally adore it.

We are finding that the Primal is helping, so that is a relief, but one of my kids actually takes the pill for severe pain, so this isn't just in our heads or anything; I had to do the same thing way back when. I have fainted from it, for example. Not that I discredit an intelligent, empathetic man's ability to understand, but there are aspects of bleeding heavily into your panties whilst cramping like early labor and not fitting into your normal duds every set of weeks with no relief for oh, say, 40 years, that I think you really need to experience to completely get. It gets on your nerves, this regularly-scheduled torture. If the wife is a light bleeder and stays stable, that is great for both of you!
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 01-24-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast