Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 23

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, makes me want to get butch as f*ck. I'm working on it.

But seriously, I love the article. I sometimes need to remember the not judging thing myself. It's too easy to fall into the gym factions and forget that we're all there to train, and that's what matters.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    If those are "butch" girls, consider me a big fan of butch.
    you and me both. wow.

It's the day after squat day and my legs hurt.

*whine*

At least I wasn't too limpy yet this morning. I was teaching and had to be on my feet, and I like to move around while I'm doing my lecture. I am just waiting for the day that I'm hobbling around in class and some student asks me why I'm limping, and I tell him that I did 5 reps with his bodyweight last night. That will definitely make them put their cell phones away when I ask, I think.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Good article from Robb Wolf on low carb and sports.

Low carb has benefits, but is it a cure-all?

Owly's Journal

I am getting tired of primal fundamentalism. It's making me, well, owly.

Owly's Journal

Also, in today's list of Things That Piss Off Owly, I am just about ready to practice my kettlebell swings on the next young dude who tries to jump in ahead of me at the squat rack. Dude, I am not hanging around here to check out some guy's ass or look hot while loitering near the squat cages. I am waiting my goddamn turn so I can do my workout. Seriously, this shit never happens when my large male partner is waiting for a rack.

I have decided to stop being so judgmental at the gym, but I do not extend that to 20-ish dudes who think women don't lift and bros who do curls in the squat rack.

On a related note, I know you are trying to be sweet or whatever, guys, but I really don't need you to load the bar for me. If I'm going to squat with 45s on the bar, I'd better be able to actually put them on, no? This does not cause me to get the kettlebell smash urge, but it does definitely trigger the facepalm instinct. I'm assuming this is maybe intended to be flirtation, but I don't really know. The average 20-ish male gymgoer is a complete mystery in his logic.

Owly's Journal

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    On a related note, I know you are trying to be sweet or whatever, guys, but I really don't need you to load the bar for me. If I'm going to squat with 45s on the bar, I'd better be able to actually put them on, no? This does not cause me to get the kettlebell smash urge, but it does definitely trigger the facepalm instinct. I'm assuming this is maybe intended to be flirtation, but I don't really know. The average 20-ish male gymgoer is a complete mystery in his logic.
    Well, they're probably typical dude-bros, however, in certain weight lifting circles, it's pretty common to load for other lifters, especially if they're lifting heavy so the lift is fresher *shrugs*

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm crackin' up here. Assume that 20something year old males are merely fit for sperm donation, and much becomes clear.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    Well, they're probably typical dude-bros, however, in certain weight lifting circles, it's pretty common to load for other lifters, especially if they're lifting heavy so the lift is fresher *shrugs*
    See, well, I might buy that except that they're not offering to load for anyone that doesn't have boobs. If it was a serious lifting gym and I saw people loading for each other regularly, sure. But I work out at a city-owned rec centre--a well-equipped one with four Oly platforms and good equipment, true, but not a weightlifting-specific gym.

The guys who do it aren't the dude-bro types (those dudes often just don't bother unloading the 45s at all, so I have to strip the bar before I can adjust the rack). They're usually about 18 and trying to be all chivalrous or something, I think.

On a related note, is leaving the 45s on the bench press bar some sort of territory marking thing? I don't mean leaving the bar loaded between your sets; I mean leaving the plates on after your workout. I see guys strip everything except the last pair of plates and leave. It feels a bit to me like saying that you'd better be able to bench that or you shouldn't be there, because if you were just thoughtless, you'd leave it loaded. My goal this year is to get to 135. Again, it's one of those things that makes women feel less than welcome in the weight room.

Owly's Journal

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    On a related note, is leaving the 45s on the bench press bar some sort of territory marking thing? I don't mean leaving the bar loaded between your sets; I mean leaving the plates on after your workout. I see guys strip everything except the last pair of plates and leave. It feels a bit to me like saying that you'd better be able to bench that or you shouldn't be there, because if you were just thoughtless, you'd leave it loaded. My goal this year is to get to 135. Again, it's one of those things that makes women feel less than welcome in the weight room.
    No, they're just dick-bags. I hate it when people don't strip the bars completely after using them >:| I usually encounter this at the squat racks, though.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast