Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 22

Primal Fuel
    Owly- I've made a goal for myself. I will be in the 2/3/4 plate club before Easter, which is completely doable if my progression continues. Here's what my worksets are Bench-175, Squat 215, Deadlift 265. 2/3/4 would be 945 lbs, once I get to 1000 I'd like to enter a competition just to say that I've done it. If I can keep my body weight below 200 lbs (184 now) I think that would be respectable.
    I have no one else who would appreciate a goal like this if you're wondering why I'm telling you. Wish me luck!
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Dude, that's awesome! I would love to even have one plate on the bench. I think you can get there by Easter for sure.

Are you using a specific program right now? I can't remember if you've said.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I'm doing Starting Strength until my linear progression stops then I will probably start 5/3/1. I started SS in September and on Oct. 30th I started logging my work-outs with a 3x5 squat of 120 lbs. 2 months later I'm up 95 lbs and should be up more but had a bug that disrupted a couple work-outs.

Nice. I never did SS because I started lifting at my CF gym (one where lifting was a daily part of the programming along with the metcon), and the lifting there was all percentage based to begin with, so I never really experienced the linear progression of something like SS or SL. On the other hand, I am very used to cycles with deloads, so adapting to 531 was easy. I'd already hit the point where the gains start to level off by the time I started doing my own programming this year.

Sore today. My Boxing Day workout was a deload, but we decided to wrap up both the overhead presses and the deadlifts so we can get on to the next cycle, and then I decided it would be fun to do a bunch of chinups. We've been going to a different gym the last couple of weeks (still a city facility so my pass works there, but a newly renovated one), and they don't have a pullup station I can reach easily unless I want to use the assisted machine...and I don't. The choice is to get a chair or box to climb up or to jump and grab. Being the tough girl I am (ha!), I have decided to jump, and by the time I secure my grip, it's a full-on dead hang, zero momentum. I go from full hang to chin fully over the bar, and it's really hard but awesome. Still not at my 5 reps yet, but that will come soon as long as I keep doing at least a couple of sets every workout. I go to failure, then rest a bit, then do another set, usually 3-5 sets.

Anyways, between all that, my whole shoulder girdle is sore as well as my upper arms. So much for taking it easy on the deload days. Heh.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I've started incorporating chin-ups into my workouts. I use the big rectangle tubing that connects the cable machine thingy so it works the forearm muscles as well. Don't feel bad, I can only do 3x5 too.

Yeah, my best set ever has been 4. I usually get 3 in a set. But it will come.

Owly's Journal

Went and did bench press today despite being sore. Not my best workout ever, but I did okay and I'm glad I went. By the time I was done my dumbbell rows, I was definitely ready to be done, though.

They can't all be great ones. Sometimes just getting there and getting it done is a success.

Owly's Journal

Gah! I was all set for a 2 plate squat workset and failed it. I got 3,4,3...it was super disappointing. I'm trying to find a pair of 1.25 lb plates today, which are cheap ($7) but they've all got $10 shipping. $10 to ship 2.5 lbs? That's crazy.

Did you see the post in my journal about my friend being on the video for crossift.com? He's the coach on the Jan. 1st workout demonstration. I'm proud of him.

More to ship than the plates cost...nice. Pretty sure that $10 doesn't just go to postage.

Going to look at your journal now.

While I'm gone, here's an awesome article:

This One's for the Butch Girls | Breaking Muscle

Owly's Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If those are "butch" girls, consider me a big fan of butch.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast