Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 21

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Female intuition?
    Helps me a fuckuva lot.

Female intuition : FW :: string theory : cat

Owly is offline Senior Member
    So female intuition is something fun that you like to play with but that inevitably leaves you tangled up in knots?

“If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I sense a new board trend coming on...
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Okay, while I dislike any idea of the "perfect" female body, I think this is an interesting illustration of how what we consider ideal changes and shifts over time. Interesting how her measurements, 35-30-40, reflect a very different idea of what represents an attractive feminine shape, with the emphasis on the lower body (we'd perceive her as rather pear-shaped, with proportionately large hips and a small bust by modern standards).

Photo: 1912's Perfect Woman Was From Brooklyn, Weighed 171 Lbs, Had Pear-Shaped Body: Gothamist

Owly's Journal

Where did we go wrong? What was the cause of this? In the gym Wednesday night was a girl, couldn't have been out of high school, with a personal trainer. I overheard her tell the trainer she needed to get rid of her love handles. The girl was maybe 5'5" and I'll overestimate her at 125 lbs. She was wearing a sports bra with a t-shirt over it, but the t-shirt had the whole side cut out of it. She was flaunting almost her whole entire upper body to everyone (quite a distraction with the bros) and at the same time was worried about her appearance.
    I also heard her tell the trainer she hadn't eaten what she considered a whole meal in 2 weeks. She snacked mostly.
    Sad times. I reassure my daughter multiple times a day that she's beautiful. Maybe she will believe me when she's older.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Just look at any "woman's" magazine at the checkout: one article about sex, the rest is divided equally between food (usually sweets) and diets. No mixed message there: here, eat your chocolate cake, then feel guilty and go to the gym, and BTW, you need to be a perfect sex goddess.

"Men's" mags are all about getting six-pack abs and being a sex machine. So we have our own unrealistic expectations, but seriously, it's 100 times worse for women. Any old geezer in Hollywood movies can have a hottie babe girlfriend, but how many 30-whatever guys have been Helen Mirren's playthings on film? So ladies, your window of sexy perfection is rather limited, and don't forget the ticking clock for babies. Us guys, we're allowed to be flatulent little Homer Simpsons in perpetuity, no rush whatsoever. Oh look, he put the seat down/didn't leave his dirty laundry strewn/remembered my birthday! Yeah, slightly different levels of expectation, right?

Yeah, not sure how we got to be this shallow and misguided.

I think men and women both get really screwed up by gender boxes about how we have to look and behave to be good boys and girls. And yeah, now we are starting to push some of the same body-hating stuff on men through the idea that all men must have six packs, great biceps, and so on. The fastest growing population for eating disorders is young men (although they're still far outnumbered by young women). I don't see this as a positive development.

Honestly, I wish I could have back all the years that I hated my body. Even now, there are days when I have to fight myself internally to stand in front of a mirror and not only see the flaws. I've been trying to pay attention to what I see in the mirror, and you know what? Depending on the day and how I'm feeling about myself, there's an actual difference. I don't mean that my body changes--I mean that what I see quite literally changes. Some days I only ever see a fat woman. Other days I see a strong, fit woman who's doing pretty damn good for 35. It's not my body that changes between those two days. It's my mind and how it interprets the data.

Once you start paying attention to this stuff, it's fascinating what you start to realize about how the mind shapes perception. I mean, by the numbers, I'm doing great, but some days in my head, I have to argue with the voice that says I'm just a fat cow. The key is that I know it's not an accurate description and that I fight with it until I win.

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Sad times. I reassure my daughter multiple times a day that she's beautiful. Maybe she will believe me when she's older.
    More dads need to do this. I know for me, a turning point in my teenage eating disorder came when my dad said how worried he was about me getting so thin. Dads really affect how their daughters see themselves.

By the way, for you dads out there reading this, now that I'm a grown up, I still love my dad to bits. We have brunch pretty much every weekend, and he's the person I go to when I need help or am having trouble making a decision. He never tells me what to do, but he's always there to offer some wisdom and some ideas.

Owly's Journal

So I learned something weird at the gym. If you eat a pomegranate and then go and lift, you will end up with funny stains on your fingers because the pomegranate leaves some sort of acid that reacts a little with the bar. I've only ever had this happen when I've eaten a pomegranate before a workout (and yes, I wash my hands).

This amuses me in part because it means I eat pomegranates often enough to have noted the phenomenon and confirmed it through repeat occurrences.

Deload week is almost done. Yay! Deloading is important but boring as hell.

Owly's Journal

Survived Christmas. I miss being a kid and having the holidays just happen. Being a grownup means I have to do a lot more of the stuff, and it's exhausting. I had fun still, and dinner was lovely (thanks to the chef...oh wait, that was me), but I was glad by the time we headed over to my inlaws to visit.

Boxing Day was nice, spent most of the day hanging out in pyjamas, then went to the gym in the afternoon, finished up the deload, then came home and ate a big plate of leftovers. Screw protein shakes, leftover Christmas dinner is the post-workout bomb.

The forum crazy quotient is getting pretty high. I feel like my eyes are going to roll right out of my head. Between the sugar-fanatics, the potato-heads, the fruit-phobes, and all the rest, I wonder what happened to just eating real food in reasonable portions? I'm getting a bruise from all the headdesking.

Owly's Journal

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast