Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 19

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    But in happier news, I made a new PR on my strict overhead press and lifted 75 pounds above my head. That's half my bodyweight!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Sorry for ranting. I just know too many people who are so deeply hurt by this stuff, and my sense of injustice is pretty strong.
    There's never a need to apologize for standing up for the little guy (or big guy or whatever the case may be). Bullying sucks no matter who is the target. I agree with you about the mooing and trash throwing. Sadly, there are jerks everywhere, even in Canada apparently, which I thought was supposed to be a nice, polite, apologetic kind of place. I guess I am no longer surprised that MDA is no different than a random street in America or wherever.

Congratulations on your overhead press PR. Impressive stuff
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Well, Amanda Todd was Canadian. I think that tells you that we're not immune to bullying here. The character of it may vary based on culture, but it's definitely still an issue here.

Also, Canadian politeness is often passive-aggressive in nature and is not really us being nice. We're just different in how we express displeasure and tend to avoid direct confrontation more than Americans do. I think in some ways we have a more compassionate society, but we have our own ways of being crappy to each other. A lot of framing of anti-fat rhetoric here has to do with people being "a burden on the public health system", for example.

But hey! Feminist Figure Girl (one of my fave bloggers) published a great rant today about the construction of fatness as a personal failing which one can control through choice:

The “Fat” Female Body (in Pursuit of Happiness) | Feminist Figure Girl's Blog
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

No new PR on the deadlift today, but I made my old one, so that's good. Considering that I'm about 10 pounds lighter than the last time I lifted that much and the number of months I took off, I'm pleased to be back to my previous level.

250 pounds, by the way. So nothing to be ashamed of at all.

Owly's Journal

I went to my first yoga class in far too long today. I was going regularly last year but got out of the habit over the last few months. Fortunately I didn't forget too much. It felt really good, especially because I was a bit sore and stiff from the overhead presses and deadlifts on the weekend--I feel much better now. I think I need to make more time for it. Yoga is a nice balance for the lifting.

Owly's Journal

Owly's Journal

I can't watch the videos here at work, but I read the article. People really think Jessica Beil looks manly? If so, I guess manly is the new hot as hell. As for the rest, I can't comment as I have yet to see the videos, but if they really are slamming on trans-persons or women who look 'manly', well, frankly they can go f*ck themselves. I've always been a fan of muscular people at the gym. It gives me a goal.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

Wow, that's some of the trashiest commercials I've ever seen.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

I know, right? I don't have aspirations to become a bodybuilder, not because I think they're ugly or wrong but because I don't have the space in my life to dedicate to it and I'm more focused on getting strong than in getting big. But damn, the women who do that inspire me, both for the dedication it takes to build that kind of muscle and the courage it takes to be a muscular woman.

One of the reasons I love getting stronger is that it pushes on the boundaries of the gender box. While I definitely identify as a woman, I dislike the way that "woman" confines and restricts my identity. Lifting is deeply satisfying for me, but it is also a form of resistance, my way of standing up and saying that I will not be made smaller and lesser. It's also an affirmation of a healthier self in the face of my history of disordered eating. I choose to lift and to eat and to be fit and healthy instead of starving and overexercising myself into submission.

The idealized female body has become so frail and fragile looking. There are some signs that the tide might be turning, but then there's yet another model with xylophone ribs on a magazine cover and another ad with a woman photoshopped into impossible thinness. I just want to get huge manly Jessica Biel/Linda Hamilton arms and smash the whole beauty industrial complex.

Shout Out to Haters! | Feminist Figure Girl's Blog

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I just want to get huge manly Jessica Biel/Linda Hamilton arms and smash the whole beauty industrial complex.
    I wish you much luck, though to be fair, her arms are not the first part of Jessica Biel I notice. Damn, just damn. BTW I have never read so many links with the word 'feminist' in them in my life. I am sure this is ruining my imaginary street cred.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast