Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 14

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No, the roots are more in harvest festival traditions. No pilgrims.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    No, the roots are more in harvest festival traditions. No pilgrims.
    Thanks! Well, then - Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

I've been slacking on sprint-type activities. Since I bruised my foot yesterday, I decided to go do bike tabatas at the city fitness centre near my house (not the big one I usually use a little farther away). I wandered into the gym there and picked out a bike, then set up my timer and went for it. I'm pretty sure the other users thought I was nuts--the guy next to me pedalling away and watching the TV, the people grinding out their hour on the ellipticals, and the dudes with their bicep curls. I was in and out in under 5 minutes. Well, with a brief pause to quell the shaking in my legs so I didn't fall over. Doing cycling intervals the day after deadlifts might not be the very best choice.

Anyhow, I wandered out, hit the hot tub, and then headed home. In and out in about 30 minutes, including shower. This minimalist workout thing seems to be working for me. We'll see what results adding in more consistent HIIT/sprint sessions will bring.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

So the 531 is definitely effective so far. Week 2 and I am getting back to where I was before the summer. Squats last night were great. I always feel nervous about them, but I feel totally buzzed and blissed out after. Post-workout meal last night was "lasagna" (my sweetie makes it with zucchini noodles). So good.

I'm having a belated birthday party this weekend, but after that I am going to do a month of more strict paleo to get my eating cleaned up before the Christmas season hits. I am up on the scale a little this week, which I think is mostly pms plus added muscle mass, but I want to make sure I'm not going to see too much slow creep over the holidays. It will be tricky because my partner is trying to gain right now, so I need to be aware and not follow him!

Owly's Journal

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    What's a 531?

Mmmm lasagna.

Have a great celebration. You really seem like you have everything working for you. Definitely inspirational! I'm going to sprint tomorrow!

Oh, sorry for being confusing! We are doing Wendler's 531 barbell program right now. Crossfit was just beyond our budget, so I decided that we should look at what we could do for programming on our own. With my partner's employer, he gets a discount for membership at the city facilities, so we can both have monthly passes for half what it would cost for one of us to do Crossfit.

The current program is 531 for barbell lifts with planned accessory work, plus tabata intervals and sprint work for conditioning. I just discovered that the gym has a sled, too, so we may try some sled pushes soon!

Wednesday night we had breakfast-for-dinner (bacon and eggs, the go-to quick meal at our house) and then I prepped all the stuff for a stew and put it in the slow cooker insert in the fridge overnight so that yesterday morning I just had to set it in the outer part and turn it on. It was so good to get home after deadlifting to find a nice hot meal ready to go. I need to do that for gym days more often.

Had my flu shot last night so I'm sleepy today. With my lungs, I can't risk getting the flu if I can help it. H1N1 left me with long-term lung damage that I'm finally getting recovered from almost 3 years later. I'm one of those people who could die from influenza, so I don't mess around. But I'm hoping I feel energetic enough by this afternoon to hit the stationary bike for some tabatas.

Dinner tonight will be steaks with salad and homemade potato chips. The salad will use up the last CSA lettuce of the year, so until we get the aquaponic system going I will have to get greens at the market. I also have to pick up stuff to make chicken wings and bacon-wrapped dates for the party and get my cake from the gluten-free bakery. It's my party and I am going to enjoy the hell outta that chocolate cake.

Owly's Journal

Yeah, the cake was definitely worth it and a bunch of people said it was better than the regular one, probably because the gluten-free bakery uses real food. I also made chicken wings and bacon-wrapped feta-stuffed dates. Very popular snacks! The party had just the right mix of interesting people, and some friends brought instruments so there was music and singing through most of the evening. I was up way past my bedtime, though. I didn't get to sleep until after 4am, ridiculous for someone who gets up at 5am on workdays.

I was definitely dragging it yesterday but spent the afternoon cleaning and doing some batch cooking for lunches for the week. A big pan of chicken legs, another of roasted potatoes, and two pumpkin custards, plus steaks and veggies for dinner. Having the oven on all day was nice on such a chilly fall afternoon.

Lifting is still going well. We hit the gym with a couple of friends on Saturday morning. We keep bumping into one of the guys on the running track at the gym, and he was asking if we could help him get going on barbell lifting because he's mostly done machines and isolation stuff before. So he and another guy friend came to meet us and get started on lifting, which was fun. The guys said they'd only ever learned the "get under the bar and push!" model of lifting, so talking about form and the science was interesting, and we agreed to meet up with them a few more times to help them learn the main lifts, talk about programming and nutrition, and get them started.

Today kicks off my planned four week paleo thing. I'm not doing a Whole 30, just cleaning things up and tracking for a month. I'm cutting out almost all dairy except probably my whey protein for my morning smoothie because it's hard for me to meet my protein targets without it. Well, that and butter. But the cheese, milk, and cream are out. I am also going to be more sticky about added sugars, not that they are a major issue but some stuff sneaks in. But mostly I expect the tracking and awareness will be the important part. I'm not counting calories or macros, just making notes. The idea is to clean up my habits before the holiday season hits in full force and to see if this lets me lean out a little more.

Owly's Journal

I really want to get into Oly lifts. I would even consider joining a crossfit just to get help with my form and access to bumper weights. I'm starting back lifting this week but my gym doesn't have bumper plates or anyone who does squats correctly for that matter. I'm afraid of hurting myself using bad technique and/or trying to ease the bar back down to the floor. Any suggestions other than buy my own weights and workout at home?
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

For the Oly lifts, I'd get some coaching to learn them. The regular barbell lifts you can learn on your own using books and videos and maybe a good training buddy, but the O-lifts are much more complicated and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you want to learn snatches and c&j, then you might want to look for a lifting gym or a good CF box with quality coaches. I don't think most people should jump in on Oly on their own. Do you have a college gym in your area? Sometimes you can find platforms and bumper plates there. I know the big universities here have them, as does the city facility I use. College gyms tend to be reasonably priced, too, especially if you're an alumnus.

But for stuff like squats or cleans, you can do pretty well with a book like Starting Strength and some of the coaching vids and articles online.

Owly's Journal

There's a new crossfit here in the town I work in, but I'm sure it's not in my budget, regardless of whether they have a good Oly coach or not. I did SS for a couple months this spring but I never felt like my squats were in good form. I had a little lower back tightness afterwards but I think that's normal. It didn't hurt. I could have good form when I didn't have much weight, but the more I added, the worse (it seemed like) my form felt. I really enjoyed the cleans, but I would like to get better with the front squat so I could maybe up my weight some more and do full cleans. Overall, when I was doing SS, I was 10x stronger than when I was younger and muscular. I couldn't bench press what I used to, but I also hardly ever did squats back in the day. I was full body strong, instead of bench press and curls in the squat rack strong.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast