Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Owly page 12

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Deadlifts last night. Quit at 225, but I think I could have pulled 235. So I did lose some strength over the summer, but not much (my 1RM was 253). I expect I will be back there after a few weeks, possibly after the 531 cycle.

Gym dudes are funny. There are these two young guys I've never seen doing anything but weird useless crap they probably got out of some magazine. Last night they were watching a guy in the squat rack and commenting approvingly on his form. The guy was duckfooted and nowhere near going to parallel, and it was painfully clear they had no freaking clue what they were talking about.

Then there was the guy who puffed with every dumbbell shrug and sounded like a steam locomotive starting up. *smh*
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Well at least they were doing something besides talking. The gym I go to (when I get a chance) is full of folks who do one set and talk for 10 minutes.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Yeah, we have a lot of bodybuilder types so the bro quotient can be a little high, but at least they're fairly serious about actually working out. The city facility is no chrome and tone, and there are some heavy weights and less restriction on stuff like noise. The rules are more about not hogging equipment by doing stuff like taking long rests and not sharing machines.

I like it but wish there were more women using the free weights especially because being the only woman in that area some days is a little uncomfortable. Also, some men need to be more subtle about their ogling. These two things may be related.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Well at least they were doing something besides talking. The gym I go to (when I get a chance) is full of folks who do one set and talk for 10 minutes.
    Ooh... sounds like my kind of place! (But then again, I am a talky kind and not yet smitten with repetitively lifting iron blobs)

Hi Owly! I just thought I would follow you home tonight to see what it is like where you live... I like! Have a good evening!

Aw, thanks! It's nice to have visitors.

Owly's Journal

Day one of 5/3/1, workout went well. Because of the rotation we were doing before, we decided to start off on bench, so that makes the squats next--squats are a lift I both love and fear. I've always liked lower rep heavy sets, so I'm looking forward to working up to week 3 to see how things go.

I'm anticipating the most easy gains on bench, not because I'm super strong there but because it's the lift I've done least. On the other lifts, I am hoping that by the end of the first cycle, I'll get back to where I was before The Summer of No Gym. I don't count this summer as a loss at all--I worked a lot on running, which I needed to improve, and got to play around with bodyweight work, so it was still productive. But I'm really happy to be back playing with the barbells again. There's just something about heavy lifts that is good for my physical and mental health, and it's deeply satisfying to see the strength gains. Also, I have that 300 pound deadlift goal.

The plan is just for very simple, minimal assistance work for this cycle, working on just one assistance exercise each session. I'd like to keep up with the running in between and get in a yoga class or two for mobility (I find that mobility element is really critical when I'm lifting a lot). With winter coming, I expect less casual exercise like biking and more planned stuff, so it's good to start mapping it out now.

Oh, and I'm totally stoked that I can see my triceps now.

Owly's Journal

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Owly,

I plan to start working out with weights as soon as my hand heals... should be another week. But what I really want to do is kettlebell training..... I tried that just one time and I *LITERALLY* could not get out of bed the next day, and I was sore for days.... and I was using a lightweight kettlebell.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Ouch! Yes, kettlebells are fun but can definitely leave you sore. I've played with them quite a bit at my CF gym when I was going there, and they are definitely effective.

I think I like the barbell lifts so much because as a woman, I find it amazing to realize how much weight I can pick up and move now. I've been very fit before in my life, but never as strong, and it feels good when I pick up and move something without thought when a couple of years ago I would have asked my partner to do it.

I bought a big bag of basmati the other day (we still eat some rice) and put it up on the top shelf of the pantry thinking that was the best place to keep it out of the way and away from the inevitable fall invasion of the mice, and I stopped and looked at it after and thought about how I would never, ever have done that before. It's just so *easy* now.

Owly's Journal

I am both anticipating and dreading squat day today.

Owly's Journal

My sweetie and I went and did our squats last night (in VFFs of course), then came home and had a dinner of grassfed burger patties with onions, oven-baked potato chips, and fresh tomato (all veggies from the csa) with a local rhubarb-chipotle ketchup we picked up at the farmer's market. Over dinner, we talked about using the track for sprints in winter and the difference between seated and standing overhead presses. We capped off the evening watching squat form videos online (with f.lux installed on the computer of course) before heading off to bed at a reasonable hour.

This is what a primal couple looks like, apparently.

Owly's Journal

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast