Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bisquick alternative/ Snack ideas page

critta is offline Senior Member

Bisquick alternative/ Snack ideas

Primal Fuel
    All I used to use Bisquick for my flour like needs when cooking. What is the easiest, most similar, primal flour to transition to that would have similar cooking properties.

That and I any ideas for primal snacks would be helpful. I am having a hard time filling the "wheat gap" in my snacks etc. since triscuits are out. I am currently leaning on macadamia nuts as my goto snack but I don't want to over do it.
    Last edited by critta; 08-26-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    You should try these crackers. They are really easy to make and tasty.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sunfl...h-shrimp-pate/

I never used bisquick before so I can say if this is a good alternative, but I use almond flour when I want have something crusty.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    My bisquick replacements:

Veggies, meat and a lil cheese.

Seriously, there is no primal bisquick replacement. What exactly are you trying to replace?

Mostly trying to figure out which primal flour is going to be easiest for me to use. I know there are quite a few options almond flour is the one that quickly comes to mind, I know there are others that I am blanking on right now.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Nothing will have properties even remotely like bisquick, sorry. Which flour you use all depends on what you're doing with it.
    One option, of course, is to stop eating things that require flour. This is by far the simplest and least expensive way to go. =]
    If you need a binding agent for meatloaf/meatballs, you can just use more egg, or use pork rinds or dried mushrooms ground into a flour.
    For baking, there are lots of recipes that use almond flour or coconut flour. I've seen other nut flours as well (pecan, hazelnut). These also work for breading meats or veggies to fry or bake.
    To thicken a soup or sauce, you can use arrowroot powder, or make things that will thicken on their own as they reduce (using cream, or good homemade stock).
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I like baking w/ coconut flour. You might want to look at Bruce Fife's cookbook. The biscuits, no sugar muffins, and pancakes are really egg, butter, and some coconut.

Thanks for the suggestions I guess i will have to pick some coconut or almond flour up and play around. I assume whole foods or trader joes should have them?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I know TJs has almond flour. I haven't found coconut flour in any stores around here.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Whole Foods has them, TJs only has coarsely ground almond meal (w/ skins on), not blanched almond flour. I prefer the Bob Redmills version of coconut flour and several people have recommended Honeyville blanched almond flour, although I have not tried this. Amazon also has them.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Coconut flour can be hard to find.. Bob's Red Mill makes one, so any store that sells a lot of their stuff might have it... but even then my grocery store often just has an empty space on the shelf where it should be. I've never been to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's so I don't know about their selection.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast