Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MEAT! page 2

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

ahh Nick beat me...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Well, what about olive oil? Isn't that considered a vegetable oil, yet it's believed to be "very good" for you? I never cook with butter, only olive oil.

I understand that most animals aren't ideally raised anymore. How can you really tell though? And how bad IS it?

I have been embracing the fats! It still feels very strange to me. There has been so much publicity on the concept that fats are bad, so it's really hard to get out of that mindset, you know?

Today I've consumed roughly 145g of fat. Yum! I never thought that it would be such a good source of fuel, especially during exercise. I noticed that when I ate more carbs, I used to be ravenous after a workout. Not so much anymore...

I've also virtually cut out any fruit so my carb intake stays low (under 150g.) How much fruit do you guys consume?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Extra Virgin Olive Oil should be made up of mostly Monounsaturated fats.

Cooking with butter is great, especially if it comes from grass-fed cows/

The best way to get grass-fed meat is through farmer markets or places like whole foods. It tends to be expensive though.

CAFO meat is bad in the sense that it has much more omega-6 than the natural meat, not to mention the extra hormones, chemicals, etc.

I totally understand how hard it is to make the transition to a high fat diet. It's crazy how we instinctively tend to hang on to things if they have been repeated to us enough times since youth. But trust me, it's worth it. Not only health-wise, but also because your hunger will stabilize and you'll feel great.

I consume sour fruit (mainly berries) here and there, but not too much really.

I am sure that, after a while, you'll start craving meat and fats, and then you will never want to go back.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Jess, I eat few carbs because I AM losing weight.... I really do know what I should be eating.

Again, a lot of your concerns and questions are answered in Mark's writings, mostly his "Definitive Guide" series. I can't find an index to them, but maybe someone smarter than me can point the way.

In the meantime, here's a good place to start: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...l-eating-plan/ That one will also provide links to some of the others.

Nick Guest

I've been eating blackberries and heavy cream a lot lately, also some clementines when they're in season.

Like I said, the percentage of the total fat that is polys is really the defining characteristic of any plant oil, because what polyunsaturated fat is there always tends to be mostly Omega-6 (from 4:1 to 230:1, for olive and cottonseed oil respectively).

So we like coconut and palm kernel oil because they're 3% and 2% poly, and olive oil is only 8% poly, with avocados and their oil clocking in at 10%.

Nuts tend to be in the 20% range, so don't go too nuts on them, since they have a good bit of carbs too.

Corn oil, soy oil, peanut oil, grapeseed, etc. are all in the 30-72% range, and since most Americans get around 25% of their calories from vegetable oils nowadays, you can imagine how much Omega-6 they get in excess of what they need (about 0.5% of total calories).

The form of Omega-3 in plants is alpha linolenic acid, which is only weakly converted to essential fatty acids DHA and EPA in the body because humans don't strongly express the right desaturase enzymes to do that (although they are coded for in our DNA) -- a lot of "omega-3 enriched" foods are supplemented with ALA because it is cheap, but it doesn't provide as much benefit as getting your O3 fats from fish or fish oil or grass fed meats or spirulina.

So even though canola oil has a pretty good O6:O3 ratio, I'd stay away from it, because it had to undergo significant engineering to make it produce an oil that didn't kill people, and it's still not very good for you compared to other more delicious fats.

And certainly if you can get it from naturally raised meats, lard, tallow, bacon grease, schmaltz, duck fat, goose fat, etc. are all excellent for cooking.

Eating fat is awesome. I had some bacon and eggs for breakfast at 8am, then around 1:30pm I remembered that I should probably eat..so I took out my leftover beef bourguignon and stuck it in the microwave, and promptly forgot it for an hour doing other things..then finally ate it. And then wasn't hungry at all for dinner (half a filet of salmon). No cravings, desperate need for snacks, etc.

Back in the old days of cereal and skim milk, I'd have been ready to kill someone for food by 10:30am.

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

The paleo diet doesn&#39;t request that everything you eat is raw. It is very similiar to the primal diet, although it emphasizes leaner-cut meats</blockquote>

Cordain has his views on paleo, but they are shared by everyone. I certainly don&#39;t go for lean cuts of meats. I have eaten paleo for nearly four years and just seem to become more carnivorous over time.

Every meal of mine has meat (if not 100% meat). There is no such thing as too much meat.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Nick - Do omega-3 enriched foods go hand-in-hand with the supplements? Would you say they&#39;re kind of useless? I saw them at the dollar store, (yes, for literally one dollar,) and felt a little suspicious...I&#39;m a college kid, I can&#39;t afford all of these expensive grass-fed meats consistently so I&#39;m looking for a cheaper, but still healthy, alternative you know?

I should try that bacon and eggs thing. I&#39;m always, always hungry after at least three hours. Do you typically not eat much?

Alright, alright, one more concern..

If I&#39;m eating quite a significant amount of meat and fat, but my carb intake is slightly higher than 150g, (say...180-200g,) but my calories are still in-check, will this result in weight gain and/or worse for me to consume saturated fats? (I believe I&#39;ve heard somebody say that saturated fats are bad when consumed with "too much" carbs...)

Nick Guest

1) Look at the label. If it tells you how much docosahexanoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) are in it, that&#39;s a good start. If alpha linolenic acid is all you can find, that&#39;s better than nothing though. There are quite inexpensive fish oil caps with 684mg of DHA/EPA per capsule at Sam&#39;s Club, if you are going for low price. The fish oil in them is still pharmaceutical grade and free of mercury and PCBs. I think they&#39;re on the order of $8-11 for 300 capsules, and you might take 3 per day to get a reasonable benefit.

2) I generally will eat 2 slices of bacon and 3 or 4 eggs for breakfast. My wife eats more like 1 slice and 2-3 eggs and that&#39;s enough for her, and it&#39;s significantly reduced her cravings.

3) If you&#39;re going to eat carbs, at least stay away from wheat and refined sugar. Try to get your carbs from things like fruit, vegetables, dairy, and tubers. If you are and have been in good shape (from one of your other posts it seems like you are), you are probably fairly carb tolerant and 150-200g isn&#39;t going to cause you any problems as long as you limit the grains and refined sugar. If you&#39;re like me and have spent 15 years screwing up your metabolism, 150g/day could be unacceptable.

Fats do increase the size of the insulin response carbs produce. Eating fibrous carbs, or eating carbs with protein separately from fat and protein may help to better regulate your insulin response. There&#39;s nothing specific about saturated fats that you should be concerned about, just try to avoid overconsuming polyunsaturated fats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12