Thread: Primal diet teen style, need some help page

LockieKermit is offline Member

Primal diet teen style, need some help

Primal Fuel
    This post can also be a bacon, I mean beacon to other teens who might need help with there primal nutrition.

So I agree with the primal lifestyle, albeit Im not as hardcore as some of you guys, ie, Im still using soap

But basically everytime Ive tried to start it ive stopped and gone back to normal living.
    I dont have my lisence (In australia lisence is issued later on in life then in the US) so driving around to all the destinations is a no go, however here is what I can do.

What can I do as a teen??????? School lunches mainly being the worse culprit as in what the hel els can you put in a lunch box beside a sandwhich and 35 million different grain, cereal, wheat energy "health" bars.

Breakfast for me can easily be eggs and sometimes bacon.
    Dinner we 90% of the time have some sort of meat with lots of frozen veggies.
    Generally we also have a good stock of fruit, mostly apples, pears, bananas and sometimes some other bits and pieces.

60% of the time we get the fruit from a little place that sells fresh fruit either from our state or a few states across, whether it's organic I do not know but they are definitley fresh and their apples are delicious. Im going off track.

Any suggestions, tips for eating good as a Teen???

Quote Originally Posted by LockieKermit View Post
    What can I do as a teen??????? School lunches mainly being the worse culprit as in what the hel els can you put in a lunch box beside a sandwhich and 35 million different grain, cereal, wheat energy "health" bars.
    Is taking a salad a possibility? I did it a few times back when I was in school, just for something different. To be honest, out of all the lunches I've tried since going primal, I haven't found anything better than a good old salad, with some canned salmon or tuna thrown in. If you can't survive salad without some form of dressing (like me), you can try adding some olive oil and vinegar (balsamic vinegar is great for this).

peril is offline Senior Member
    I'm working this out with my daughter who's in Year 11 and just learning to drive. She's taking salads with tuna most days, made up the night before. For snacks, I'm making her primal sushi rolls, replacing the rice with mashed pumpkin or sweet potato. Ricotta might be an option.

It won't be easy, particularly if you have an active social life as you won't want to be isolated by a strict diet. Just try to make the best choice you can from whatever is available at the time and make the right choice when you can.

Good luck

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member
    I learned about primal blueprint over 18 months ago and still no success in transition, either my parents buy crap and I eat it when sad, or my door roommate is constantly "seducing" me with his food "why don't you drink a little coke, just a little, here you have, If you don't want now it will just wait for you". Haha . But now I went it the other way, I dont have ANY cravings now, because I almost dont eat any plants, I will when I will be healthy and primal, but for now, NO, I hate cravings and am to weak to battle them, let's outsmart them

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    I would say the salad is a staple for anybody primal whether they are a teen or not, i like mine with canned sardines and extra virgin olive oil, but i also like salads with crumbled bacon and feta, or tomatoe and avocado, sometimes i even mix it up and just toss some nuts on there cashews or pine nuts or some slivered almonds, hard boiled eggs and some hot sauce are a standby for me too. are your parents primal, it sounds like you eat alright at home, if they aren't primal see if you can get their support in more food choices to take to school with you. and if your eating primally for the most of the time cheating occasionally isn't gonna kill you. Maybe if your school has a vending machine there might be a decent substitute in there, where i work our vending machines are loaded with crapola all candy and terrible sweets, but there is one row that hardly ever gets touched except by me in a pinch they have a decent trail mix with no added sugar or salt and no chocolate chips or other garbage. or maybe you could talk to your principal or whomever is in charge of your school lunches and see if they could serve some healthier options to all the normal fare the worst that could happen is they tell you no.

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    Fill a container with cherry tomatoes, slices of red, orange or yellow peppers, cucumbers, raw broccoli etc and a smaller container for a dip (Rene's butter milk ranch or cucumber dill dressings are good for this, only one gram carbs per two tables spoons and a hardly any processed ingredients , or make your own dressing). Add to that rolled slices of quality deli meats, low sodium/preservatives if you can. Or have some pre-cooked slices of bacon. Sometimes veggies and dip travel better than a full salad. But if you want a salad try using baby spinach as it doesn't wilt as easily and have more nutrients. Bring a can of tuna or baby shrimp to add to your salad just before you eat, but don't forget to pack a can opener. You are in the best part of the world to find fresh avocado. Take one and a small pairing knife to slice it in half, scoop it out with a spoon. I have an Australian friend who eats avocados cut in half for snacks with the hollow spot from the pit filled with soy sauce for extra flavour.
    Take a couple hard boiled eggs. Go to a fast food place and ask for those little packets of salt and pepper to toss in your lunch and sprinkle on the eggs. (about the only reason I would ever go to McDonald's is for their salt and pepper packets!) Or make devil eggs the night before with a bit more flavour.
    Left over fully cooked meats can stand a few hours in a bag lunch. Drum sticks are easy to eat, cold steak is a favourite of mine but you might want a fork and knife or just tear into it Grok style, or slice it up before hand. Fill some celery stalks with almond butter. Take a baggie of almonds. Beef jerky, homemade sushi without the rice, organic cheese, seasonal berries.... the list goes on!

Be creative. It just takes a few minutes the night before, or the morning of, to toss a few things in a container and away you go. Honestly your friends will look at your bright fresh and healthy lunch and be jealous as they probably live of french fries and processed cafeteria foods and will be half asleep and bloated by the next class.
    Last edited by Leanne; 08-26-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Take dinner left overs to school, if your getting meat /veggies for dinner, just use that. If there are no leftovers, ask your parents if they would cook a little extra for you to have the next day.

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Take dinner left overs to school, if your getting meat /veggies for dinner, just use that. If there are no leftovers, ask your parents if they would cook a little extra for you to have the next day.
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

Leftovers are awesome and easy.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

Leftovers are awesome and easy.
    hell yea! im currently eating squash and some country fried steak (fried in almond meal and coconut butter) from last night's dinner.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    You said you live in Australia. Doesn't that mean you can just go out and wrestle a crocodile or punch out a kangaroo for fresh meat whenever you want?