Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adrenals (again, sorry) page

primalmom is offline Member

Shop Now

Sorry to beat a dead horse !!! .... I have searched the site but cannot find any info ... regarding number of meals or time between meals ...

... I know the idea is to get insulin levels to drop but ... with my adrenal issues, is this just aggravating it - going too long without food ?

Should I go back to smaller / more frequent ?? I am having a hard time eating enough food at once to carry me over LOL !

thanks !

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

wwld517 Guest

Hi there! I'm currently doing PB with adrenal fatigue (and a host of other annoying hormonal imbalances...), and I can only speak from personal experience.

For years I ate 5-6 small meals a day to balance insulin, and by doing that I didn't feel hungry or light-headed, which is a sign that glucose wasn't too high. But eventually, with (finally!!) ditching grains and dairy altogether and some supplements (http://www.naturalpathhealthcenter.c...ypage.tpl.html and http://www.futureformulations.com/st...der-tm-p6.html), I only felt the need to eat 3 small meals, then 3 regular sized meals a day.

I've never heard anything about balancing insulin interfering with adrenal problems, in face quite the opposite. Fix insulin issues - fix most other hormonal issues.

The point is, with PB you should feel a more acute sense of what your body needs. If you FEEL hungry, EAT!! The idea is not at all to ignore your body's signals in order to behave solely according to a specific eating plan. It's more difficult if you have a pre-existing condition, as I can attest to, but the fact that you have to listen and listen hard doesn't change.

Best of luck!

*Note: the supplementation was done with expert supervision.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I've gotta ask...is adrenal fatigue something you guys have been diagnosed with, or is it just one of those things you assume you have because you feel generally crappy? Is there an actual test that can tell you "Yes, you have adrenal fatigue."?

well, in my case - my doc, an MD, did some bloodwork, including cortisol (adrenal hormone) which was low - he recommended Vit C and B5, which I take, as well as licorice and ginseng .... I am trying to figure out the best nutritional complement - having the thyroid disease as well (hypo) ... so ....

as far as an actual "test" - adrenal hormone levels can be measured .. .cortisol mainly ... some endocrinologist will do a 24-hr cortisol - others will do saliva testing 4x per day - my MD did blood ... there is a "lab normal" range given the time of day as cortisol is circadian so they just compare to that to see if you are within range ... some mainstream meds do not acknowledge adrenal fatigue and just wait for adrenal failure (Addison's Disease) or overproduction of cortisol (Cushings) but more docs who are progressive are recognizing the slow decline of adrenal fatigue / burn-out ...

PrimalMom

Ahh, so it sounds like it's one of those "where are you in the range of normal" things that are kind of nebulous.

wwld517 Guest

Nope - I have PCOS, so I have a lot of other issues and that was just one of the results that showed up on the labs.

A bit presumptuous, though, to say that we're just crybabies who diagnosed ourselves....

I wasn't presuming anything; that's why I asked.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

L-- you aren't beating a dead horse. Don't worry, I'm sure there are lots of people here who could benefit from your questions.

First, I ask- are you still going to Ali's forum? If so, I should post to you there because it's difficult to post individually here.

Second, have you read "Primal Body Primal Mind"? If not, I think you should- you would find lots of valuable info in there re: hormones and such like adrenals/insulin/leptin and so forth.

When I gave up grains and stuff, I too was able to go longer between meals. It used to be that I'd start feeling stressed if I didn't eat exactly every 3 hours because I'd start to get shakey and irritable (I guess symptoms of unstable blood sugar?) - I'm sure that stressed feeling wasn't good for my stress hormones.

Anyway, I agree w/ the poster above (wwld) - eat when you're hungry. That is the beauty of eating primally.

Re: Adrenal testing. I did have the saliva testing (twice) and ACTH stim test and 24 hour cortisol test (to test for Cushings because at one point, I actually was producing a lot of cortisol) - all the "traditional" testing for adrenal fatigue.

Lots of people think and doctors (as you said L) think adrenal fatigue is hooey, unless you have Addisons. But I can assure them-- those who say it's hooey have never experienced it. It is indeed very real. There is such a thing as a condition somewhere between Cushings and Addisons. Our bodies weren't designed to withstand all this "stress" which comes in many forms. We as humans are very adaptable, but we can only take so much before hormones start to become unbalanced. And the older we get-- especially women who are approaching that 'M' phase, especially have hormones issues to deal with.

L-- read "Primal Body Primal Mind" - I think you will get a lot out of it.

Hey Ellen - thanks for all that ! I had seen that book mentioned here (probably by you ) and was going to read it so I definitely will !! ... yes I need to get back to Ali's - will go there today and PM you

WWLD517 - You have a tough row there with the PCOS - that takes a lot of balancing ... I think my thyroid issues will actually get better with figuring out the adrenals

dragonmama - there is some lab work involved but also a lot of symptoms that can be attributed to adrenal fatigue - problem is, they tend to overlap with other hormonal things and also to appear in conjunction with other stuff !

PrimalMom

I'm the first to admit I know nothing about the adrenal gland. I have had dire warnings from a few people that I'm going to "burn them out" with my three cups of coffee a day. (Which I disregard, since I feel great.)

I'm going to mentally file this with high blood pressure as a condition which definitely exists but can be manipulated and controlled with proper diet and exercise. Would you say that's fairly accurate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast