Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adrenals (again, sorry) page 2

62shelby Guest

Primal Fuel

I think that there are a few of us here that can attest to having real adrenal fatigue issues or what I personally consider a 'metabolic crash', which is what I think my body has gone through after some pretty relentless stress for three years that I am trying to extricate myself from, exacerbated by lack of sleep and not enough nutrition.

PrimalMom, I started taking adrenal cortex supplement by nutricology recently, in the morning and afternoon, and for the most part the 'dizzies' which I had pretty bad, have left me. Also my sleep is in general way better, no waking up at 1 to pee anymore, and since I backed way off hard training I have loads more energy to do other stuff. I have also read that taking adaptogens in conjuncion with the acs like ashwaganda can be helpful.

primalmom is offline Member

@62shelby - ha - that 1 AM thing ... it is a 3x per night thing for me .. sigh ... as if I needed more things to wake me up ! ... and the dizzy thing ... I will take a look at that - thanks

@dragonmama - yep - that's pretty much it, as far as something you want to actively avoid - the thing is, most people think they can "handle it" - life, stress, lack of sleep, lots of exercise, etc .. because they DO feel great - until the proverbial poo hits the fan ... Diana Schwarzbein does a great job of explaining this - that it "feels good" to use up your body's resources -

Weird but I see it now ... I did not see it while I was doing it ... skipping meals, working alot, staying up too late or getting up early to go work out / working out a whole lot / restricting calories / lots of caffeine (lots) ... bad food choice (Low carb bars) ... and the list goes on ... things that you don't perceive as stressful your body does - starvation etc - and then you can have an extremely stressful "event" in your life where your body is called upon to "cough it up" so to speak -

Not sure what it was for me - could be a combination of opening a restaurant / having a premature baby / having that baby go to NICU at 9 weeks with a respiratory virus .. ya know, stuff like that - and, boom, suddenly there you are ...

Now, I am not trying to be Chicken LIttle - just that you should know the kind of things that can lead to adrenal exhaustion so that it does not sneak up on you !!

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Well, other than the coffee (which I really don't think is excessive; my friends say it's so weak it tastes like dirty water) I have a healthful lifestyle, and I'm a pretty laid-back, non stressed-out person. I think my adrenals are more likely to fall asleep from indifference than to burn out.

wwld517 Guest

Dragon- Sorry about that, I guess it's just the way you phrased the question that made it seem more like an accusation, but going back over it now I see what you meant. (I'm a bit defensive- I once asked an endocrinologist if I should do Paleo, and he looked at me and said..."Why don't you come back when you have heart disease; then I'll know how to treat you." HA!)

Anywhoo, I wouldn't say adrenal fatigue is QUITE like high blood pressure. If I had to compare, and this is a very LOOSE comparison, I'd say it's like the diff. between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. While in some people it could have been prevented, in others there's really no choice but to do a combination of lifestyle and supplementation.

Also, a tip from my doc: If, two hours after you exercise, you feel fatigued instead of more energized, you've overtaxed your adrenals. This doesn't mean you have adrenal fatigue though, lol. Just something to watch out for.

I also don't think coffee will hurt you....o.0

No problem. It's not always easy to convey thoughts by the written word. Besides, I can imagine how many times people have told you that it's all in your head.

primalmom is offline Member

i love coffee ... I am working on reducing the caff in favor of decaf - I am at about 20% caff to 80 % decaf ! ...

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

My first cup of the day is full-strength, but then my next two cups are half-caff. Which I am drinking this very moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12