Primal Fuel

...and we're off. No sugar for 30 days.

Mike_G Guest

You can do it lady!!!

JBraun Guest

Tuesday 8/11/2009

Food

B: cottage cheese, mandarin oranges, almonds

L: salad, peppers, feta, ham, olive oil/lemon juice dressing and a nectarine

D: Amy's not chix noodle soup, odwalla mango tango

S: larabar/apple

WOD

Row 500m

7 rounds of:

3 Thrusters @ 95lbs

6 CTB Pullups

9 KB Swings 1 pood

Finish with Run 400m

Time 20:26

Overall

one day down. no sugar. it was more difficult in the sense that there are a lot more products with sugar in them than i had anticipated. however, it was less difficult than i thought it would be to make it through the first day without sugar.

i'll admit that seeing all the products that have sugar in them has been eye-opening and a little intimidating. so many products i wouldn't have thought would have added sugar...soups, packaged meats, diced tomatoes, hummus. i guess i'm naive. many of my friends have told me repeatedly that americans put sugar in everything. i didn't know they meant it. it's in everything.

30 days seems both longer and shorter than it did yesterday. i still think i can do it though. i'll admit i'm scared. seems weird to be scared of not doing something. strange.

JBraun Guest

Wednesday 8/12/2009

Food

B: cottage cheese, crushed pineapple, almonds

L: lean cuisine lasagna(i read the ingredients- very processed but no sugar)and a piece of fruit (i can't remember what kind it was for some reason)

D: rotisserie chix leg with carrots and peppers and two little round light pieces of cheese (i can't remember the brand)

S: larabar/grapes/pluot (thanks mike g!)

WOD- team workout with partner

10 dips

4 rounds of:

one person runs 400 m while the other is at top of pushup position. Each person runs 4x. Burpees are a penalty if any body part other than hands or feet hit floor.

Time 16:43

Overall

I can't believe how good I feel...and I'm not hungry. I'm one-tenth of the way. I don't think it will be this easy the whole way through...but I'm not struggling too much yet. I think it will help to have tons of fruit and larabars on hand. I'm feeling skinnier but I'm pretty sure that's my crazy lady mind cuz it's only been three days. I decided at the start I wouldn't weigh myself until the end because I want it to be about being healthy and I don't want to get discouraged if I step on the scale and don't see a number I'm happy with.

So far though I feel good. We'll see how I do later in the month when the PMS kicks in...I may not be so confident... Or next Wednesday when I go to the Hash House for breakfast with my co-workers and the bacon waffle beckons to me...oh crap, my mouth just started watering.

Ok, the stomachs growling...I'm gonna go eat something.

Mike_G Guest

Good Job Lady!!!!! Keep it up!

JBraun Guest

Thursday 8/13/2009

Food

B: clementine oranges and lemon larabar

S: plain greek yogurt with crushed pineapple

L: Salad with salmon, tomatoes, olives with OO/lemon dressing and oranges

S: grapes/larabar

D: rotisserie chix and two little round light pieces of cheese

S: almonds, clementine oranges

WOD- Crossfit Total

1 rep max of the following lifts

Back squat

shoulder press

deadlift

Add weights for your total: Mine was 481

Later in the afternoon I did a Crossfit Endurance workout that consisted of 3 min on at 90%/ 3 min rest for 5 rounds

Overall

10 days ago I picked up a little baggy of starter dough for amish bread. My mom used to make it when I was little and I had fond memories. Plus my sis had mentioned a few weeks or a while earlier that she had wanted to find out how to do it because she too had fond memories so since she was planning to visit that weekend I grabbed us each a starter. Anyhow, when I grabbed that little baggy...I didn't realize that a few short days later I'd be committing to giving up all sugar.

Needless to say, last night (the final day of the 10 day process) was a true test of my resolve to stay sugar free for 30 days. The recipe calls for a cinnamon/sugar topping. I love cinnamon/sugar...the whole house smelled of the bread baking. It smelled delicious. It was torture.

I'm happy to report that, not even once, did I taste even a little granule of sugar. I can't say that I didn't desire to taste it, but I can say that is wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to refuse.

JBraun Guest

Friday 8/14/09

I have to say that I'm feeling pretty tired today. I haven't slept super well the past couple nights. I'm not sure if that has to do with the sugar or what...but I definitely don't like how tired I'm feeling right now.

Also, I read Mark's article about the rat study and I'm feeling anxious about giving up sugar. I think it's because he mentioned the different effects that transitioning to a high fat diet can have on an individual in the short-term and I'm feeling a little paranoid. Although, I'm still eating lots of fruits and I never really ate much bread anyhow so I guess it shouldn't be that drastic of a change to my diet. I think maybe I'm starting to feel a little mental from lack of sleep and it's causing me to fear the whole "giving up sugar" plan. Helps to write about these feelings though.

Mike_G Guest

Who's the slacker now?!?!?!

JBraun Guest

Friday 8/14/2009

Food

I don't remember but I do know it didn't involve any sugar. For dinner I had sushi. Yum.

Overall

Day 4 ended. I was absolutely exhausted. Meant to go to sleep super early but ended up getting caught up in some research for my grandpa so ended up staying up later than planned. The sugar thing definitely has its ups and downs. Most of its mental. I think it helps that I'm not restricting anything else and i'll reiterate that it's definitely eye-opening reading labels.

JBraun Guest

Saturday 8/15/2009

Food

B: Eggs with bacon, avocado, cheese, green onion, tomatoes and a smoothie (juice and fruit only)

L: Crispy salted green beens

D: Hummus and tomatoes; plantain chips

S: Plantain chips

WOD

AM

Weekend Warriors:

Tabata Something Else (numbers listed are averages)

Pullups 6

Pushups 7

Situps 10

Squats (BTB) 10

Overall

I haven't felt super hungry today. You can see I haven't eated much. I've noticed in the past some weekends this trend. I think I can relate now to people who say they eat more at work because they're sedentary and because of all the crap people bring to work to "share". I'm sure it's contributed to my weight gain (I'm not overweight, but I'm heavier than I've ever been). I'm feeling good about my commitment to not eat sugar. As with most things, it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. What I mean is, we are all crazy heads and we ramp things up in our minds but when we actually take the time to try something...a lot of times the process isn't as hard as we anticipated. At least, that's what I've found in life. Not that things always go my way...Again, I feel skinnier...but sticking to my guns to not weigh. I feel it's really important to my success on this challenge. In fact, I might give my scale to Mike G to help me succeed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast