Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Organ Meats Do You Love? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

What Organ Meats Do You Love?

I have cooked myself beef liver twice in the past few weeks and today I cooked beef heart in the crockpot. I enjoyed the heart better probably because I followed a recipe and anything is better in the crockpot.

I can not wait to try other organ meats.... maybe brains down the road? Seriously though... The nutritional profile for organ meats is sick and its so damn cheap!

What organ meats do you love?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    <3
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Brains! *zombie walk-drool*

Remember, kiddies: brains, not grains.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    beef liver hands down my favorite food

heart is good too, as well as kidney but its a pain in the @$$

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    One of my favorite treats is venison heart, but it was rare to get it. I used to love the rabbit hearts as well.

I don't hunt anymore, unfortunately. I miss all the wild game from my childhood. I might have to find some beef heart in the near future.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Here they call Lamb's liver 'lamb's fry' for some reason? anyhow I like that, kidneys. Cooked ox heart recently and it was a bit tough, I think my mum used to do lamb's hearts and they weren't tough and want to try from PB Cookbook, sweetbreads which I think are the pancreas. I wish they'd just use the proper words for the different organs.
    Mountain oysters anyone? ha ha

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Buffalo liver. I eat about 4 oz for breakfast a few times per week together with a little fruit or some tomatoes and I feel like Superman for 5 hours. It's the cocaine of meats. It's $3/lb at my farmer's market. I've researched a little about the nutritional profile of beef liver and it is extremely nutrient dense.

Liver to me is much different than heart. I've tried beef, chicken, and buffalo liver but only beef heart (although I have a lamb heart in my freezer). Beef heart sliced thin and sauteed does not really taste all that different from a lean, sliced cut like London Broil. Beef or Buffalo liver has its own unique texture though. Chicken liver was too mushy and I did not like it.

I'm not sure if tongue and marrow are considered organs or not. I don't think tongue is as nutritious as liver.

Organ meats are awesome, I'm glad they are cheap. It's crazy that a top flight organ is $3/lb or less and an expensive cut can be 5 times that.

tbow is offline Member
    DH was raised on a ranch, and he has very fond memories of having scrambled brains-n-eggs for breakfast w/ his granddad. I haven't gone there, yet, although he says they cook up quite similar to chorizo. I grew up with fairly traditional meats, with a few odd exotics [or, exotic for me] thrown in, like oysters and frog legs and such. I did learn to eat liver during pregnancy, and developed a love for it almost instantly. I've only had beef, venison, and sheep - all of which was pretty similar, wrt to flavor and how it cooks up.

When DH went back to school, his first semester, senior year, was absolutely grueling. I thought it would be nice to prepare him an old-school meal. You know, like Granny used to make - something comforting and nutritious and good. So, I hit the store in search of organ meats. Couldn't find brains, didn't want to do plain ol' liver... ohhh, beef heart! I'll give that a try!

Got it home, and wasn't prepared to be confronted with... the entire heart... tubes sticking out of it... looking like it just needed to be put back and plugged in. I froze. WTH was I going to do with *that*? I thought about slicing it thin and cooking it up like a country fried steak, but figured that would be "cheating", and I didn't want to shaft him on something like this. So, I broke out the books, hit the internet, and pieced together a mental picture of how make an absolutely mouth-watering beef heart. (Everything I found said a slow, moist heat is the way to go.) So I lovingly got all the extraneous bits out, tied it back together, seasoned, and roasted it. I was terrified I'd screw it up - and I so wanted this to be just wonderful for him.

When he got home that evening, I unveiled the surprise. He blinked and stared at it. Finally, "OK, it looks like a roast, but you seem pretty excited. So, what is it?" he asked.

"It's heart! Beef heart!"

"Really?"

"Yeah, um, just like... Granny used to make, right?"

He smiled at me and said, "Oh, we usually just sliced it thin and chicken fried it."

The moral of this story could be "call Granny before you jump through flaming hoops". Or, "you can pretty much cook this stuff any way, and it'll be delicious!" Whichever works. (The heart roast was delicious - seasoned lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic, seared in a cast iron pan, and roasted on 300'. yum!)

I do also really like tripe (in pseudo-menudo), and liver and heart. We haven't had kidneys, although that's just b/c it hasn't dawned on us to search for them. But this thread has my imagination up and working, now.
    ~ Loving the good life, built the way we want it. ~

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to the blog, I discovered the delicious little nuggets that are delectable chicken livers. Soon after, I hunted down some grass-fed beef liver.

...I hated it...

I was so surprised!
    Little Saiyan

sebzzz is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here are my favorites:

- Marrow
    - Liver (beef, lamb, pork)
    - Heart
    - Tongue
    - Heart

The only one I seem to dislike is kidneys. The taste remind me of urine. I'm also looking forward to try brain, it's as primal as it gets.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast