Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parasites and Antibiotics..help page

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I just got some lab results back and evidently I've got some parasites. Likely they were a result of my trip to South America a while ago (ironically, for medical volunteering). Doctor prescribed antibiotics, but I'm not sure what to do. Wonder if this was a valid concern for Grok...

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Which specific parasites? Also, how do you think you picked them up?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Hi TT,

they're blastocystis hominis. It is likely I got it from the food in Ecuador when I travelled. I experienced abdominal pain after. Im just unsure about the antibiotics since I know they can kill good bacteria in the digestive tract as well...

When did you return and when did you notice symptoms?

I guess it depends on which antibiotic? What are you supposed to take? I tend to be VERY anti-antibiotic, so I would probably try to see if it clears on its own. When I went to Ecuador, I got some um... problems... on the trip, so I dosed with probiotics, including live yogurt (HOMEMADE) and kefir cultures when I got home. I returned to normal in a week.

Worst case scenario, you take them and then rebuild your gut flora.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Also I was willing to try ANYTHING besides antibiotics, because the ONLY one I am not allergic to (that targets any anaerobes) is Cipro. Cipro is super bad for you but hey, at least if I ever really really needed an antibiotic... I have one I could take. Heh.

Tara,

Thanks so much..I think I may wait to see if it clears up..meanwhile I'll continue with my probiotic (capsule form). Im a kefir fan, but I haven't tried making any at home. Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try. Do you have any recipes?

Skater- no problem! Just make sure if it doesnt clear after about 7-10 days... then you might consider the anti. A LOT of people actually have subclinical or symptomless infections and are totally fine. The fact that yours was classified as B. hominis really says nothing, because they name it that when its *found* in humans not *from* humans. You could have one of several animal strains and they just named it B. hominis b/c you had it. Bad nomenclature.

When I came back I made kefir from the stuff in the store (I have granules now, which is the "real" starter). Just put some milk in a jar (like a pint), add about 1/4 cup kefir and let sit for a few hours. If its warm (i.e. 80F), less. If its cold (i.e. 68F), more. Its ready when it starts to separate a little. I would make a smoothie with it as its VERY sour! Also raw milk is good too!

Also: I wento to Ecuador for a school research trip/class. We hit Quito then Tiputini Biodiversity Station in Yasuni National Park for 2 weeks. When/ where/ why did you go? Im just interested.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

There is a drug called Humitin (sp???) that stops amoebas and other assorted nasties before they even start. I have two physician uncles who knew about this and from there, all family members have used it when traveling. My parents and aunt and uncle on a long South American tour were the only ones that didn't suffer GI problems and illness.

I used it back in 1983 and drank municipal water w/o problems in Egypt. People were amazed.

You need a prescription and it will probably have to be special ordered to the local pharm.

Blastocystis can remain in the intestines for weeks, months, or years. Don't wait to see if it will go away on its own.

What would Grok do? If he had access to the drug that would kill the parasite, HE WOULD TAKE IT. I am as anti-drug as the next grokette, but come on, you have living creatures inside of you that shouldn't be there. Take the drug! There is a difference between taking an anti-biotic for a virus or sniffle that will go away on its own with time. I think this is a little different.

OTB- Humatin. Though I think Flagyl is probably what is normally used. Also youre talking about prophylactic antibiotic use. Would it work the same after the fact?

PJAP- I think personal judgement should suffice here. I mean, if skater is um... stuck... in the bathroom antis would for SURE be the answer! But if its just a little annoying, lots of things like this have been known to just clear on their own. Its not the same as E. coli O157:H7 or anything. There wont be any failing livers or kidneys here. But I will say, antis arent really a choice for me with my allergies. I am ALL about tying to solve the problem without them if I can. PS Howd your interview go? Update that thread!!! After your story I am hopeful for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast