Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Florida page

JSWilliams is offline Junior Member

Hello from Florida

Shop Now
    I'm new to this forum and think it's only proper that I introduce myself. My name is Jennifer. I've recently caught on to the primal blueprint fever and have been actively reading as much as possible on the subject ever since. I've purchased and am reading several books including the Paleo Diet, Primal Blueprint, and the Primal Blueprint Cookbook.

I'm an active 35 y/o. I'm 5'2 and weigh 115 lbs (...not used to BROADCASTING it..lol). I exercise regularly and think my fitness routine fits nicely with the primal exercise program. I do a lot of push-ups (I'm actually a push-up junky usually doing 3 sets of 40-50 5 days a week...I think that's probably against the primal way...). In recent months I've been doing some pull-ups and have managed to work myself up to 10 dead-hangs. For me that's really good since I couldn't do one when I started. And yesterday, I bought my first pair of Vibrams! Hurray!!

With regard to the eating, I have been progressing this way for the past year. I gave up dairy 6-8 months ago. Then I gave up all the whites about a month after that. All this came with good results. I have lots of friends who've had great results eating paleo/primal, so I figured I'd research it. I've been eating this way for 3+ weeks now. I haven't lost too much weight really, but I'm still happy with the results nonetheless. I can see a lot of changes in my form/musculature. I feel really great about all the new food options and can't imagine ever retreating to the conventional low-fat diet. So I only have two problems: (1) I'm obsessed with numbers/scales. I would like to lose 3-5 lbs but haven't seen that since I was in my early 20s. (2) The only other concern is a mild, dull headache (like a dehydration headache) that seems to be a constant (3 weeks now). I drink a lot of water. It's not a deal-breaker, but it would be nice if it were gone. Any ideas?

sebzzz is offline Member
    Great job doing primal. Looks like your doing well judging by your push-up and dead-hang routine. For the headache, it could be what's called the low carb flu where it takes a couple of weeks for the body to become fat adapted. It should pass very soon.

If the headache passes after eating fruit, it could mean you are a bit hypoglycemic, which should fix itself if you keep the carbs low.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

mikeha is offline Junior Member
    You're def overdoing it on the pushups, I would cut that back to 2 days.. still impressive tho! Stubborn fat (I'm assuming is what you want to lose) is hard! You have to find what works for you, try lower carbs, intermittent fasting, and a lot of low level activity. Try no fruit, no nuts and long walks (45min+) during your fast. You can also look into carb refeeds if that doesn't work.

GaTo is offline Member
    Another florida member WOOT!... Welcome aboard.. I agree your most likely in carb flu. Also if you still want to be able to do pushups and pullups through out the week check out SimpleFit. http://www.simplefit.org/

Thanks for all the great responses. The headaches do concern me since they began intermittently but seem to be more frequent this past week. I'm glad to hear that this low carb flu can last so long. Everything I've read indicated that it would only last a few days (which explains my concerns). Last night I was doing some planks, and when I stood up my headache went from dull to blinding in short order. Everything is controllable with aspirin, but I hate to take aspirin every day. Anyhow, hopefully it'll pass sometime soon. Thanks for the advice on the hypoglycemia, Seb. Perhaps I'll try eating fruit during my next headache (usually stronger in the evening hours...or more noticeable because of fewer distractions) to see if that's an issue. Great advice.

I agree Mike, about the push-ups...somewhat. I've been doing the Armstrong pull-up routine for awhile and love it. It's really helped me to make gains in my pull-ups. I've always been naturally good with the push-ups (everyone has a skill, I wish mine was running...lol). I'm starting to allow myself skip days on the push-ups here and there. I do want to see more increases in my pull-ups though. I'll work it out.

Yep, we've got the state covered, GaTo...From Miami to Jacksonville. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

P.S. Ran for the first time last night in the Vibrams (only .5 mile to try them out). LOVED it!!! I cannot wait to get out there and work my mileage up.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, JSWilliams!

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Hope the headaches ease up!

Thanks...J4M!!

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Looks like Floridians are taking over! (I'm in Melbourne along with a couple others)... I don't think you are over doing pushups at only 40-50/night every night...assuming your conditioning level is there... 50 pushups isn't really a lot of work for people who are in shape... ... for people who aren't in shape compare it to doing like 10... ... or walking up some flights of stairs... no big deal... ...

It might be low carb flu... I'd ride it out a little longer and see before I started really worrying...

Grok On!

Stak88 is offline Junior Member
    Welcome JSWilliams. I'm just down the street from ya here in Daytona. I started last week and am loving it so far. Can't wait to hit the scales on Saturday to see what kind of progress week 2 shows. First week registered 15 pounds!!! I have a ton of weight to lose so at first it will melt away then the challenge starts I'm sure. Anyway, welcome aboard!

yogadaily is offline Senior Member
    Welcome JS!
    One of my deares friend soul sister is in Jacksonville, so give her some of your primal vibes! She feels low fat works for her but I'm hoping the light will shine soon.

I'm quite impressed with your natural push-up tendancies! I lack there what you have but do love to sprint so I'll go ahead and be thankful instead of pining for push-ups. =)

Take good care and I look forward to hearing about your journey!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast