Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need critical minds! page 2

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

That's an interesting thought, grandma. Corn is certainly nothing like the little grain heads that are its ancestors.

It's possible it can't be done; like when they thought they could make synthetic opiates w/o the addiction. One follows the other.

Or, if they can do it, how much processing would be necessary?

Anyway, good thought.

vkh Guest

"This is an elitist way of life. Not for the masses. I have no problem with that."

Exactly...

Well, it is my humble opinion that, for humans to survive more than a few hundred more years on this planet (at least without a major catastrophe), we need to find solutions that work for the entire species. Whether it's diet or environmental pollution, ignoring the mistakes of our neighbors will come back and bite us eventually. Believe me, I hope that I am totally wrong and that I can live the way I think is right without a care in the world for what anyone else does. I just think that's naive...

Nick Guest

First you need to call him out for saying '16 Tera Watts'. Unless he weighs himself in Kilo Grams and pedals his recumbent bike ten Kilo Meters into town.

I agree with OTB that rising living standards reducing the birth rate is going to be pretty effective in curbing population growth. If we were willing to divert the resources we currently expend in Iraq and Afghanistan towards productive use, we could build enough solar thermal concentrators in the southwest US to provide enough renewable power for the whole country, as well as producing enough desalinated water to alleviate shortages in that part of the country.

In the next three decades, nanotechnology is going to become mature, and it will shortly become trivial to coat every surface with solar cells, and use that power to drive the production of whatever food you like from inputs of CO2 and water. However much protein, whatever length fatty acids, whatever thickness steak and fractal dimensionality of marbling you prefer. And it will do so with an efficiency unmatchable by livestock or conventional agriculture. So failing a systemic collapse in the progress of technology, Moore's Law points toward achieving atomic-scale precision manufacturing in the early 2030s (32nm now, 0.1nm at the very strictest definition of atomic scale, so 320x increase in transistor density on a 2D surface, at sqrt(2) increase in linear resolution every 18 months, gives us 16.67 * 18 months or about 25 years away).

grandma is offline Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS146090+08-Jun-2009+PRN20090608

one company is taking small steps. gotta love Vermont.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Fascinating, Nick. Thanks.

void_provocateur Guest

Great article Grandma. I have to spread this on every other forum I pass through.

vkh Guest

"First you need to call him out for saying '16 Tera Watts'."

Are you talking about putting a space between the prefix and the unit? C'mon...

"If we were willing to divert the resources we currently expend in Iraq and Afghanistan towards productive use, we could build enough solar thermal concentrators..."

I totally agree.

Nick Guest

Technically it's supposed to be "terawatts". Sorry, electrical engineers get pedantic about their precious watts.

worthc is offline Junior Member

VKH- the one and only thing we can control is ourselves. I take that seriously. I try not to impose my diet and lifestyle on anyone else, and i expect the same treatment from everyone else. I didn't coin the "elitist" primal mentality, our dear leader did in his book. read it.

worthc is offline Junior Member

BTW- i get the nature of your thread and think it is a good one. I just think people need to take control of there own lives and i think this is the spirit of living primal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast