Thread: Fermented Grains, gut flora, and inflammation page

Js137 is offline Member

Fermented Grains, gut flora, and inflammation

Shop Now
    Sorry if this has already been posted (not terribly proficient with the search function), but I found this podcast (terribly long!) to be great. It is an interview with Stephen Guyenet (from the Whole Health Source blog) on a bunch of topics including:

Topics covered include:

The little known causes of the obesity epidemic
    Why the common weight loss advice to “eat less and exercise more” isn’t effective
    The long-term results of various weight loss diets (low-carb, low-fat, etc.)
    The body-fat setpoint and its relevance to weight regulation
    The importance of gut flora in weight regulation
    The role of industrial seed oils in the obesity epidemic
    Obesity as immunological and inflammatory disease
    Strategies for preventing weight gain and promoting weight loss

A lot of what he promotes agrees completely with Mark, but there are some notable differences. If anyone has the time take a look and we can hopefully start a discussion.

Link: http://bit.ly/cgH1mj

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I listened to that a while ago, it is a spectacular interview. Chris doesn't seem particularly impressed with the billion things you have to do to grains to make them less poisonous.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Js137 is offline Member
    This interview appears to be one of the least biased things I have ever heard - I think Stephen is truly a scientist who doesn't appear to have an agenda.

The preparation of grain is one of things I wanted to discuss. I agree completely - when I read the whole health blog and all the steps that must be taken to make grain less poisonous - my first thought is, "Why bother for something that isn't even that good anyway! It's not like we are talking about bacon here (in which case I may be inclined to jump through some hoops)".

Here is my question: He speaks about both probiotics and prebiotics being insufficient to make it completely through the digestive track and states that this must be done with fermented grains and/or fermented fiber. If this statement is true, can we get the appropriate gut flora by ingesting things like kefir and live greek yogurt or do we need to (at least occasionally or after taking an antibiotic and killing all your bacteria) go through the hassles of fermenting these items?

Sorry if I didn't make this question so clear, but it is a somewhat subtle point.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Yeah I listened to that a while ago, it is a spectacular interview. Chris doesn't seem particularly impressed with the billion things you have to do to grains to make them less poisonous.
    That made me smile.

However, it does interest me that Sir Robert McCarrison's rats did so well on a (slightly modified) Sikh diet - as, of course, (it seems) did the Sikhs. Now that included not just wheaten bread but unleavened wheaten bread. That's about the least satisfactory grain and about the least satisfactory way to prepare it. Did it not matter as much as it might have done, because the diet also included plenty of dairy products, plenty of vegetables and fruit and plenty of butter? (But not that much meat, actually - another surprise.)

Might people do all right - grow tall and sturdy, have cavity-free teeth, and be relatively disease-free - on that kind of diet but some of them at least still manifest some more subtle autoimmune problems, I wonder?

It would be interesting to compare rats on the diet McCarrison gave them with rats on a Paleo diet (fully orthodox - grass-fed meat, fish oil and all). I'm not totally convinced by the Paleo diet, since it's a bit high in protein and bit low in fat and eschews saturated fats for monounsaturated. But what it consists in is well established, and it would make an interesting comparison. It seems to me a shame that people spend so much time feeding rats strange foodstuffs - neat casein and the like - instead of actual diets.