Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Primal Blueprint book- is it worth a puchase if you're not trying to lose weight? page

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member

The Primal Blueprint book- is it worth a puchase if you're not trying to lose weight?

Primal Fuel
    How much of the book is geared toward weight loss? I'm hesitant to plop down $25+ if a huge chunk of the book is dedicated to shedding pounds, as I'm underweight and don't need that info. Is there a lot of information in there that's not on the blog and that is unrelated to weight loss?

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    A lot of the info in the book is spread out through the blog, but the book ties it all up in to one nice, easy to read and entertaining book. I think it's worth the $25! It's not JUST focused on weight loss, though there is an emphasis on it. It's really about explaining the PB philosophy and frames the principles in the context of weight loss.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    agreed. buy it.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    It's $17 on Amazon, and it's definitely worth it. It's geared towards everyone who wants to be healthy and fit, not just the overweight.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    The book is more about optimizing your genetic expression for health. Achieving and optimal body weight/composition is just a product of optimizing your gentic expression for health.

Most of the information in the book is scattered throughout the blog. The book however is well organized and puts all the blog posts into a wholistic perspective, well worth the $25 to $30 IMO.

What value do you place on knowledge? What else would you spend that $25 to $30 (or $17 as Annika noted above) on that would be better than the knowledge of optimizing your health?
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Plus, it's a nice way to support Mark and the site. He has to make a living too My sister and I joke that we should just send Mark money in gratitude for helping us get healthier and change our lives for the better. LOL
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    I bought it mainly to improve my health. I wasn't really overweight as a guy of 5'9" and 155-7 pounds. A great book IMO; I'm very happy with it. It so happens that I did lose 5 pounds by cutting out breads and simple starches, but that was more of an afterthought.

I was just telling my wife that I've not had a sinus headache in a month, something that used to be a nearly daily occurrence. Is that because of the primal diet? I guess so, but who knows? I've been doing this for a little over a month.

Major portions of the book are dedicated to exercise and eating healthy.

The exercise philosophy appeals to me, but I've yet to prove it out. However, I think it will be fine. I'm doing it and it makes me feel good.

The book does not lay out every little detail of how to live, although it lays out many, but it does set the guidelines. Anyhow, I recommend it. I've sent copies to friends who showed interest.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    As others have said, PB is about lifestyle change. It's not a "diet" book. I am not sorry I bought it, despite being able to get the info here. I too am happy to support Mark's work financially. Also, I can loan the book to people who are interested. Sending them to MDA, wonderful as it is, could send them running in the opposite direction, e.g. when the daily posting is about some weird food or some balls to the wall exercise.

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, thanks guys! I'm sold. It'll be good to have a copy to hand around to my family and friends when they ask me about my new eating habits.

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    This is a life-changing book.

I bought mine from an online bookstore. Wish I had bought directly from Mark. He deserves every possible penny. Like kennelmom said, we should just send money.

I lurked on the website a long time and figured I had learned everything I needed to get started and in fact I did start without the book. Primal living and the primal way of eating have been the best things that have ever happened to me (a subject for another long post).

The book brings it all together in an interesting and motivating way. I wanted to read it for myself before I recommended it to any friends or patients (I am a family physician).

I tell my patients "this book will teach you everything I want you to know about how to eat and live." It is all medically correct and especially refreshing for me to recommend, as I am tired of diabetes being overly medicated, and statins being inappropriately pushed by the medical community. (see Mark's lipid commentary here) This book does a fantastic job of explaining what your lipid markers mean and explains that they are the response to injury, not the cause of it.

Readers of this book will learn WHY grain based carbs are your enemy. You can't read this book and try this lifestyle without shaking your head in disbelief at how easy it is to be healthy, happy, and achieve a normal body weight just by avoiding processed grain-based carbs. (This coming from me, a former 6 Mountain Dew per day addict and Taco Bell abuser.) And that's just the first few chapters!

Bottom line - this powerful book is required reading for my diabetic patients, those with lipid disorders, patients with anxiety and depression, and anyone who complains of wanting to lose weight or being "tired all the time". I also have my medical students read it as a counterpoint to the sometimes flawed conventional wisdom they learn in medical school and from drug reps.

Full disclosure - I don't know Mark (would love to meet him one day to deliver a personal thank you just for my own life improvement -- PrimalCon 2011??). I have no financial interest in his company or you buying the book. I just wanna help spread some more of Mark's primal goodness by backing up every claim on the cover of the book - you can lose weight effortlessly, get boundless energy, and get healthy and happy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast