Thread: Substitute for bread crumbs? page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

Substitute for bread crumbs?

Primal Fuel
    My kids love schnitzels (breaded and fried chicken breasts) but I just finished my last packet and will never buy them again. I have tried substituting with almond meal and it just doesn't stick like bread crumbs or flour.

Any ideas?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Use an egg batter to get it to stick.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    for very thick crust, dip first in coconut flour, then egg wash, then almond meal; let rest for a few minutes before frying.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    for fish I have a macadamia, lemon and kelp mix I use for crumbing! use an egg dip first!

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    I use an egg batter but the almond meal still doesn't want to stick properly. I am also not crazy about the taste. Maybe I need to use ground up nuts and coconut.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if this would work, but someone in a meatloaf thread mentioned ground dried mushrooms as a substitute for breadcrumbs in meatloaf. It may work as a breading??
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    I have also used ground pork rinds as breading, they will stick to an egg wash or mix half and half with the almond meal.

brians_ona_boat is offline Junior Member
    If you don't mind the dairy, parmesan cheese works pretty well.

anzy is offline Member
    If the meal is too coarse just make it finer (don't put it in the food processor TOO long or you get almond butter). You can also buy almond flour instead (just a finer almond meal). Try letting the chicken sit in some barbecue sauce for a while ( i use a primal recipe i found online somewhere) and leave a light layer of it on the chicken to give the almond flour something to stick too and add a nice flavor. I also agree with the parmesan cheese suggestion, though my personal preference is to combine some parmesan and almond flour and spices to make my coating. Good luck

chameleon is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made chicken nuggets yesterday for the first time and I used chicken thighs (love that dark meat!), egg dip (I included a tiny bit of honey in that), and then a seasoned almond flour. I baked them at 400 for 8-10 min/side. They were fabulous! We even enjoy them cold.

Halfway through breading them I ran out of the fine almond flour/meal from Bobs Red Mill so I threw some almonds in the FP and processed as much as I could (they started to stick together so I stopped even though it was still pretty coarse). This batch looked less conventional and had a more almond flavor so I think a finer grind is important. We still like them. Use plenty of salt and paprika...plus garlic, pepper, and whatever else you want (I used sage).

Good luck!